1st Test Fold with Tissue Foil

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
dragon man

Post by dragon man »

:o its not that expensive i got some for just £2.50 thats extremely cheap for spray on adhesive
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

If you're careful you can minimize the wrinkles with tissue foil, but it is hard and there are always still a few wrinkles. It is cheaper and much easier to get/make than nice kozo/washi/unryu/etc.
M Deutsch

Tissue Foil

Post by M Deutsch »

I make my tissue foil with a spray on adhesive. I really like it but on some of the smaller more intricate sections of some pieces I find it difficult to fold because it becomes quite thick and although it won't break, it does wrinkle. Of course I am not the best folder in the world so that might be user error.
- Matthew
harlequin
Location: Among the southern folk, between the sunken city and the house in the clouds

Post by harlequin »

I have hideous problems with tissue foil! It usually comes out looking like a lettuce leaf, and blotchy with gluey blobs. I'm using the same spray glue as pictured earlier in this thread and I've given up trying to make it using white tissue paper as the glue stains on the paper make it unusable. I guess I'm being a little heavy-handed with the glue? Or do I need to be using a better quality tissue paper?

PS - I'm off to my first convention at the weekend, so anyone else going to Liverpool, go easy on the newbie in the corner...
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Hah, yea, sounds like you're putting the spray can too close to your surface. Give it some distance. Your aluminum sheet shoud look lightly speckled when you're ready to add the tissue.

There's also a few ways to solve your wrinkle problems. Before you spray, tape both a sheet of aluminum and a sheet of tissue together on one side, with the tissue paper on top. Then, set the tissue away by opening what you have like a book, exposing your aluminum. Spray the aluminum lightly, then grab the loose end of your tissue and pull it over the top, pulling away from the taped end to keep it nice and taut. I grab the loose corners of the paper to also pull to either side, keeping it tight the other way too.
harlequin
Location: Among the southern folk, between the sunken city and the house in the clouds

Post by harlequin »

Thanks - I'll give it a go.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I make my tissue foil a different way (after Fishgoth):

1. Tape a sheet of newspaper down to a flat board with masking tape (I put 1 piece of tape in each corner and one in the middle of each side).

2. Do the same for a piece of tissue paper on top of the newspaper.

3. Smooth out the wrinkles in your sheet of foil with toilet paper/a tissue.

4. Spray the glue evenly onto the tissue paper (if there are white globs of glue it will show through).

5. Lay the foil down carefully on the tissue and smooth it out (this is much easier than laying the tissue onto the foil).

With some care and a little practice (and sometimes luck), you will have a perfect sheet of tissue foil.
M Deutsch

Post by M Deutsch »

Another way to apply the tissue paper to the tin foil is to roll it around something. I use a pair of drumsticks. I roll the tissue paper around each of them prior to gluing.

I spray the glue on the tin foil and then roll the tissue out over the tin foil. It is much easier than laying the tissue on because there are no bubbles or anything. You have to be careful though to not wrinkle the paper whilst you are wrapping around whatever you intend to roll out across the tin foil.
- Matthew
harlequin

Post by harlequin »

Clearly you're a better roller than me! That's the technique I've been doing and as I said, the results aren't pretty. I guess it's a case of trial and error and find a way that works for you.
The Average Folder

Post by The Average Folder »

This topic is pretty old, but I don't know if it's just me, but 99% of the time, no wrinkles. But the other 1 % I do get one wrinkle. The process I use:

1.Cut out a square piece of foil.
2. Roll up a piece of tissue paper on a cardboard tube or PVC pipe
3. Spray the glue on one side of the foil.
4.Roll the tissue onto the glued foil
5. Wallah! Beautiful, unwrinkled tissue foil. If you want double sided, repeat steps 2-4. :D :D :D
Folding is everything, and everything is folding
My Flickr- http://www.flickr.com/photos/58368473@N06/
-Mike
Nostalgic

Post by Nostalgic »

Really nice,

I love this model and folded it with paper back foil. I will try again as yours is stunning compared to mine lol
vegemite and lettuce
The Average Folder

Re:

Post by The Average Folder »

Nostalgic wrote:Really nice,

I love this model and folded it with paper back foil. I will try again as yours is stunning compared to mine lol
Erm, what model are you referring to? :?:
Folding is everything, and everything is folding
My Flickr- http://www.flickr.com/photos/58368473@N06/
-Mike
Flame_Kurosei

Re: 1st Test Fold with Tissue Foil

Post by Flame_Kurosei »

Erm, what model are you referring to? :?:
Possibly the model mentioned on the first page of this topic? (Anibal Voyer's Cat)
A tiny place to post my things. Enjoy~
http://flamekurosei.deviantart.com/
kebapmanager

Post by kebapmanager »

Flame_Kurosei

Post by Flame_Kurosei »

That glue stick looks similar to what Trekker_1983 used in the beginning of the forum, so I'm assuming yes, but I've never tried it.
A tiny place to post my things. Enjoy~
http://flamekurosei.deviantart.com/