Tile exercise Tarantula on ODS P289

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Brimstone
Buddha

Tile exercise Tarantula on ODS P289

Post by Brimstone »

I am re-reading ODS and this time I am doing the exercises. I arrived to the tarantula that is proposed in page 289 (might be 291), the one with the 10 circles (flaps) and book symmetry but I haven’t been able to find the tiles that would collapse this base.

Could someone please give me some hints as to what tiles to use and where

Thanks
mleonard

Post by mleonard »

Just to be clear, are you talking about figure 9.15 - "optimum ten-circle packing with book symmetry"?

I can't remember if I had a go at this one or not - I might have something jotted down somewhere, if only I can find it...
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

That's the one exactly. Figure 9.15 left

The collapsed base looks pretty much like the turtle on Fig 7.1 page 188 only with more flaps

Thank you Mark for anything you can help me with. Just so you know, I am the guy who did a gargoyle out of your wolf base
mleonard

Post by mleonard »

OK, I've now had a look at this - I don't think I did try it before (or if I did, I didn't solve it).

The first thing to notice is that the pattern as given consists of two hexagons, with a large empty space in the middle of each. The obvious thing to do is to put another (smaller) circle into each gap - this will add two more flaps to the finished base. Now the pattern has only triangles and quadrilaterals, so it should be possible to fill in the appropriate tiles.

Unfortunately the "waterbomb" tile doesn't seem to work for the quadrilaterals, so you have to use some sort of gusset molecule instead. The book does give a precise method for constructing such molecules, but I've never fully understood it...

I haven't yet managed to get this pattern to collapse into a base, but I'm pretty sure that this is the way to go about it.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

In page 300 many tarantula circle packed bases are solved, but not this specific one.

If you look at the solutions, does it give you an idea of how to solve this one? Because it does not do it for me
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

While you think of it, I am going to try my luck at the O-list, maybe Robert Lang gives me a hand