Drawing diagrams

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

Ohhh... (sudden look of comprehension dawns on my face) :)
So does anybody have an answer to my question?
My Flickr

Hi! It's been a long while since I've been active on here. I deleted my Dropbox years ago, so some things, like my Dragonfly Varileg guide, are lost to time. I may still have other things, though! Email me if you have any questions.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I don't know about Inkscape but in Freehand it makes all the difference if you say "print as pdf" or "export to pdf". Also check your pdf settings for export, maybe something got messed up.
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

Nothing is messed up, it's just that when the little dialog box ("Cairo PDF Output"), there is an option that says "Restrict to PDF version", and beside that, there is a scroll out menu where the only option is "PDF 1.4". I think that it is the PDF version which is causing the lack of quality.

And that is the problem. I can't figure out a way to upgrade the PDF version. :(
I blame Cairo. It seems to be an old program app...
My Flickr

Hi! It's been a long while since I've been active on here. I deleted my Dropbox years ago, so some things, like my Dragonfly Varileg guide, are lost to time. I may still have other things, though! Email me if you have any questions.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

You probably don't need to worry about it. All PDFs look crappy in Acrobat. I'm on a Mac, so I use Preview. Anyhow, try printing a page or two and seeing how it looks.
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

Alright, Jared. Thanks! :)

Edit: Thank his noodliness, it worked perfectly. Thank you Jared! :)
My Flickr

Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

I have new information! Last update which I have been installed some time ago makes export to PDF possible without problems.

EDIT:
Oh, I can see now, that you discussed it already. Sorry for redundant info.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
RollerCoasterBug

Post by RollerCoasterBug »

I use google sketch up, but there are no dotted, colored, or arrowed lines. You just have to look at where the newline is. It's really bad for diagramming :( , but grat for CPs. :o
Nathanael_Cotrus

Re: Drawing diagrams

Post by Nathanael_Cotrus »

I started to work with Inkscape, and diagramming works very well. But i have a problem: How can i draw "fold-inside-arrows" with a hard line at the beginning and a pointed line at the end?
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Nathanael_Cotrus wrote:I started to work with Inkscape, and diagramming works very well. But i have a problem: How can i draw "fold-inside-arrows" with a hard line at the beginning and a pointed line at the end?
You draw two lines, each one with a different line style
topsu

Post by topsu »

Brimstone wrote: You draw two lines, each one with a different line style
Taking it further, it helps to first group the 2 lines to form a uniform curve, then ungroup and create the wanted styles.
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

What I do is just draw the arrow the way I want it; then duplicate it, change line style, and use the node tool to cut off the extra. It's pretty easy to get the shape right if you draw it as a single object first :)
LeafPiece

Post by LeafPiece »

You can get the same effect using only one original line. Draw your arrow, add a node where you want your break, click the "Break path at selected nodes" button, then go to the "Path" menu and click "Break Apart." Your arrow is still continuous, but it's now in two pieces that you can edit independently from one another.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

LeafPiece wrote:You can get the same effect using only one original line. Draw your arrow, add a node where you want your break, click the "Break path at selected nodes" button, then go to the "Path" menu and click "Break Apart." Your arrow is still continuous, but it's now in two pieces that you can edit independently from one another.
Wow it shows you really know your Inkscape.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

yes...i'm horrible at inkscape. i wish i could get better but with everything i guess it just takes practice
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
RollerCoasterBug

Post by RollerCoasterBug »

Me too, any computer drawing really. I fold, not draw.