Spray glue or glue stick?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...

What glue do you use to make tissue foil?

spray glue
52%
glue stick
12%
white glue
36%

Total votes: 33

angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

By the way, I'm using 3M spray glue. I just read the label on the can. It says "This product does not contain chloroflourocarbons, metylene chloride, or 1,1,1-thrichloroethane (methyl chloroform)," whatever that is. But I suppose if you threw it hard enough, it could potentially kill someone. So I'll change number three.

3. Can be used as a lethal weapon.
Finward wrote:I once tried to make tissue foil with white glue, and althought color wasnt burned as with glue stick, it didn't pasted at all. When i started folding it was being slowly unglued (sound very weird, which is the correct word?) I did folded the models it was meant for, but i didnt liked it at all. Perhaps there are outside here many white glue recipes????
Uh...did you actually wait for the glue to DRY first?
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
Trekker_1983

Post by Trekker_1983 »

I used crepe paper too to make my own tissue foil and I used glue stick. Worked quite well. Never seen any spray glue here.

here's one of the model I that folded with my tissue foil (merman's Leafhopper)

zxop9

Post by zxop9 »

i went to michaels yesterday and asked for tissue paper, and i was shocked, they had huge sheets of colored tissue, i'd been glueing toilet paper to foil before, wow this has been one of the most beneficial posts i've visited yet ;p
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

zxop9 wrote:i'd been glueing toilet paper to foil before
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Finward

Post by Finward »

angrydemon wrote: Uh...did you actually wait for the glue to DRY first?
Of course. At least three or four hours. What I actually mean is that that glue didn't pasted to aluminum foil at all
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Different glues are meant for different materials-some white glues probably don't work too well on foil (paper should be fine). Spray glue should work on foil and paper-but it would be a good idea to check on the container for what materials it works for before buying.
Visionary

Post by Visionary »

I use spray glue which works just fine for me. However, independent of the glue I do have some troubles with the foil. I just cannot manage to get it flattened properly. Anyone has some neat tricks on how to prepare for the foil for the spraying/glueing? I have the tissue paper prepared on rolls and just roll it onto the sprayed foil which works like a charm, but I end up getting crinkles simply, because the foil already had them in it.

Right now, I'm fixating the foil with a stripe of tesa on both ends, but still I can't get it flattened. Also tried different brands of foil, but it's the same problem with all of them.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Fishgoth posted a great way to make tissue foil that I have been using in this topic. Smoothing out the foil with a wad of tissue paper works very well.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Don't forget to tape the foil down before applying the tissue.
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
rdrutel

Post by rdrutel »

If a spray glue has All Purpose written on it...this does not mean it will work. The best I have found is 3M spray glue.
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

On Tuesday I made a sheet of tissue foil to fold Kamiya's Bahamut. Before I could finish applying the spray glue all over the paper, it ran out! I managed to get most of the glue onto the middle of the paper so the tissue ended up peeling off around the edges. I had a bottle of PVA glue so I tried using it to glue the edges of the tissue onto the foil. It worked quite well. The only problem is that the glue slightly weakens the tissue when it soaks in, so there is a risk of tearing when smoothening out the tissue. Also, I the dye will come of the tissue if it touches anything while it's still wet. For convenience's sake, I think I'd rather use spray glue.
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
Visionary

Post by Visionary »

angrydemon wrote:On Tuesday I made a sheet of tissue foil to fold Kamiya's Bahamut. Before I could finish applying the spray glue all over the paper, it ran out!
That's why, after you've found a brand of glue working for you, you always always take care to have an additional spare one available. And as soon as your main glue runs out it's about bloody time to get a spare one for your spare one ;)
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Is that why you are called Visionary, planning into the future?