Non-Folders Reactions to Your Origami

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Chris's last comment reminds me of something I hear when I teach in public. A parent will bring their child to learn how to fold something. When I ask them to join in, they say, "Oh, I could never do that." I often answer with, "So you mean your child is smarter than you are?"
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

Joseph Wu wrote: I often answer with, "So you mean your child is smarter than you are?"
How do they react to that?
I also do card models -- http://cutfoldpaste.blogspot.com
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

I have finite number of my work-colleagues, so I can hear still the same:
(big hill of paper things in the box clearly visible on my table) "That is folded by YOU? Really? Everything?"
"You have small amount of work?" or " You have much free time..."
"Is it from one sheet of paper?"

My wife:
"It is your hobby, is it necessary for me to look at it?"

Other friends (not from work):
"Great! Cool! Amazing! Without instructions? Oh!" etc.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
aesthetistician

Post by aesthetistician »

"You do origami? Cool! Can you make one of those bird swan thingies?"

A close relative of "You do trampolining? Cool! Can you do flips?"
aces21

Post by aces21 »

I mostly fold at work in my lunch break, as a new baby at home doesn't leave much time for anything else! I fold most days, so usual comments are:

What are you making/did you make today?
Thats cool!
What is it?
Is that one piece? (I always say yes, even when its modular, as it's funny watching people try to figure it out)
Why?!
Wouldn't you rather come to the pub (usually the answer is yes, unless its raining!)
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

Oh, I forgot one important reaction:
"What is it? Squirrel?" watching biplane (or so)... :lol:
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
InsomniacFolder

Post by InsomniacFolder »

"Oh! You spend all your time doing that? so that's why you're such a loser."
"He he he he he! Cool beans!" (Upon presenting a new mother with Shaffers Baby on a Bed)
"I don't believe you. Unfold it and prove it."
"You must have infinite patience"
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

the most depressing fact (at least in my experience) is, that people are always amazed by simple stuff and give much less attention to the really complex stuff. its like they are going crazy by a paper that was folded in half and ignoring the three headed ancient dragon riding a burning harley [img]http://freenet-homepage.de/origamichris ... ocking.gif[/img]
notefolds

Post by notefolds »

A lot of these comments are hilarious, like "unfold it and prove it!"

And I agree the most people are impressed with simple things than complex models. I have the traditional crane suspended from a shelf in my office and people comment on that one first before saying anything about the infinitely more complex pieces. I think it's because they recognize the simple things as origami, whereas the more complex things they cannot fathom as one piece of paper.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Yes, but that's not only the case when showing things to non folders. For example if you would fold a girl with long hair all fingers and toes and need some hours to complete and post a picture of a simple not even all too well folded tessellation at the same time you wouldn't get a single comment for the girl but many ohs for the tessellation thing... :?
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

eric_son wrote:
Joseph Wu wrote: I often answer with, "So you mean your child is smarter than you are?"
How do they react to that?
A few people get upset. Most of them sheepishly pick up a piece of paper and start to follow along.
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

origami_8 wrote:Yes, but that's not only the case when showing things to non folders. For example if you would fold a girl with long hair all fingers and toes and need some hours to complete and post a picture of a simple not even all too well folded tessellation at the same time you wouldn't get a single comment for the girl but many ohs for the tessellation thing... :?
Boxes. That is all.
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

I've met with many similar comments and reactions, usually the good kind. I have had a few bad incidents, one in particular where my particularly strict social studies teacher took a model from my desk, ripped it up, and threw it away. I was talking to the art teacher later and mentioned what happened earlier, in the end the teacher gave me an apology, but sadly the model in the garbage was erm... beyond salvaging (think chewing tobacco).

Often my coworkers (5 women) don't recognize the subjects I fold. They prefer my Paper Filigree works (a.k.a. quilling), which I consider rather simple, twirling paper strips into various lengths and squashing lightly into shaps to form say, a rooster. I suppose its the bright colors, but I still prefer origami.
zxop9

Post by zxop9 »

i have one friend who will knock my origami out of my hand because he thinks it's "gay" i have another who just doesn't care, and one that will grab it and ufold the whole thing usually ripping the paper when he does, then the people i don't know tell me i have too much time on my hands, and ask to keep what i made ;p
dragon man

Post by dragon man »

Also, best bet is to do mindless things, like tessellations, that way you can still pay attention.

I disagree i usually fold something complicated so i dont die of boredom in lessons such as "welsh" and "RE". My most common reaction to my origami is:

Someone:Wow thats great you should sell those
Me:Would you buy one?
Someone:NO!
me:Well who would then?
Someone: i dunno

I usually have good feedback however theres chavs in my school who call me an "origami bummer" :lol:

I convereted 1 :D
Now i need to persude him to join this forum :lol: