Non-Folders Reactions to Your Origami

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
mrsriggins

Post by mrsriggins »

i watch at least 4 hours of tv per day :oops: but i do other things at the same time like washing dishes and folding laundry and talking on forums oh and of course folding models. I just always like to have background noise plus it keeps my two year old occupied for a bit. And anything that keeps her occupied even for five minutes is a beautiful thing :lol:
"There are times when hope itself is an act of heroism. So here's to hope, and everyday heroes. " -Jacqueline Carey
I totally just discovered I have a macro function on my camera- I'm lovin it!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23352404@N06/sets/
dragon man

Post by dragon man »

I just always like to have background noise
I agree i hate it when the place is completely silent it really gets to me :twisted:
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

It will never be completely silent. The sound of paper folding will be your background noise. :D
I also do card models -- http://cutfoldpaste.blogspot.com
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

We also have not any TV, as Anna. And no-TV-time we are using for playing with our son. 8)
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I guess it is because I am a musician, but I can't stand background noise sometimes. I can't help but consciously pay attention to it. As a result I can't do homework while music is playing-I just end up listening to the music instead :o
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

My teachers would always yell at me for folding while listening to them. :lol:

Anyway, I get people asking me for stuff a lot. Sure, I'll give you the model I just designed before I can copy the CP! :roll:
Everything causes cancer, but only in California.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

My teachers would always yell at me for folding while listening to them. :lol:
tell him that you listen with your ears and not with your fingers, that's usually doing the job :)

regarding to the TV, I know a couple of people that have turned on the TV even when they are out in the kitchen to cook. as I'm a movie-fan, I usually watch my DVDs and seldom the TV program. there are also times when my television is off for more than a week. I'm very proud of my sister. she's a TV junkie but decided to stop watching when she got her child. she rather plays with her son than watching TV (or even worse: let her son watch). it seems to pay off, because her son isn't very fascinated by the television and rather plays with his toys than staring into the magic box.
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

I cannot do something else while folding - I cannot concentrate. So if I listening something (teacher) and folding simultaneously, I do not hear (the teacher).

My son loves video-tales on computer and it is very helpfull, if you need to rest or do something important without disturbing. My son also have many just audio tales, he loves they also very much. Using computer has great advantage - we can control what our son watch. I hope he never use gun against his friends. :(
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

Jonnycakes wrote:31 hours a week??? That is over 4 hours a day-I don't quite believe that. People watch too much TV, but that is quite a lot, especially for the average person.
From the World Almanac, 2008:

Average U.S. Television viewing time per week, May 2007

Men:
18-24 21:40
25-54 28:13
55+ 36:48

Women:
18-24 35:07
25-54 32:05
55+ 43:31

Children:
2-11 21:40
12-17 21:20

All viewers average:
30:04

I agree that as a student musician, background noise is quite distracting, unless it is repetitive and non-changing; Techno helps enormously when cleaning the house! Our family owns a TV, but we haven't used it since last summer, when we cancelled the satellite subscription. That means lots of time for folding and for Rachmaninoff. :D

On the contrary, though, silence is quite important; it helps us appreciate sound far more! Imagine if you had a symphony without rests, where everyone was playing all the time. After a few minutes you wouldn't be able to stand it... Listen to "A Boy and a Girl" by Eric Whitacre if you get the chance, it uses rests wonderfully.
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

I'm lucky if I even get to watch two hours a week, haha.
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

I tried folding without the TV. I think I nearly went bonkers.
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

For mindless repetitive folding, I love having the TV on. Making grids for tessellations, for example.
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
InsomniacFolder

Post by InsomniacFolder »

Regarding background noise, I have found that, anecdotally, my best folding occurs listening to either Tom Waits or Bach.
My worst, whenever the TV provides aural wallpaper, no matter what's on.
Different music definitely effects my results.
Any additional excuse to listen to Tom Waits is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

origami_8 wrote:(I can't fold during classes because we don't have books and need to write everything along when the teacher speaks).
I have teachers who give out a TON of notes daily, especially in the one class, but I still have time to fold. Am I just abnormally fast at writing in my chickenscratch, or what?

One of my favorite reactions was when I showed a person where I take piano lessons something, I forget what (It was somewhat complex), and they at first were a little suprized. Then, when I basicly explained that it was "pure" origami, her eyes literally popped out of her head! :shock: I wish I could get my hands on a Ryu Zin diagram, and see her eyes then!!
wolis

Post by wolis »

I get comments like:

"I see you have learnt how to fold a cube"
"You are clever/creative/a show-off"
"You have to much time on your hands"
"Soon there will be no room left on your desk"
"Can you do a crane?" (when viewing a hexahedron I had just made)
"How do you get the folds to straight?"

I carry small squares of paper with me and fold on the bus while I walk (to from work, at lunch, to the shops etc..) I have not been run-over yet.

Folding outdoors on a sunny day is the best as you can really see the creases.
..___ http://creativeobjectworld.com
/\___\ a free-form, text-based, browser-based,
\/___/ real-time, multi-user virtual world