Will there be a Ryu Zin 4.0?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

I'll take a better design over a more complex one every time.

(my standards)
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Yeah, there's a lot to be said for designs that are easier to fold, and which don't require huge sheets of paper.

Not everything has to have individually folded scales.
I'd love to see a simpler version of it, one that doesn't take hours and hours to fold, and which can be folded from say, 20cm paper.
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

I think that Kamiya should just leave the ryu jin alone, and not try to improve on it. There is a point where too much more stuff makes it worse...and things like more teeth or other accessories would only make it seem too cluttered, not to mention about twice as hard to fold and much thicker.
As much as I love his dragons, my favorites of his designs are all his dinosaurs, the sea scorpions, and his greek mythology animals, especially the minotaur. (which i desperately hope he will release a CP for.)
rdrutel

Post by rdrutel »

origamimasterjared wrote:I'll take a better design over a more complex one every time.

(my standards)
Like the number phi...there is an aesthetically pleasing design that is both complex and also the best. Like Zoraz said...once you add too many things it could be overkill. I agree with these things, but just because none of us can truly know through imagination what would look better than the 3.5, doesn't mean that there aren't some additional assets that would amaze us even more and still not be overkill. I think he is relaxing his brain from tackling his tougher ideas and that is fine. I just hope he is not on permanent relaxation thinking he has reached his limit.
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

Wow, no wonder he hasn't released many designs recently. With people like you expecting him to continually top himself... He knows that when he releases a new design, it'll be judged against his past success, instead of evaluated on its own merit.

In other words, I think your expectations are too high. That sort of pressure isn't good for an artist, and in this case it's entirely unnecessary. The works he's releasing are still phenomenal.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Rod makes a good point. As an artist (or really in anything) you usually want your work to improve over time. Kamiya has come up with so many cool folding tricks and structures. It would be disappointing if he were to stop challenging himself, because he still has room to grow. He still has loads to contribute to the state of origami. It's not something to hold against him, but I would certainly prefer if he keeps discovering new tricks and applying them. I'm not asking for something to top Ryu-zin 3.5, but I am asking for something that is more than a border-grafted blintz bird base.
rdrutel

Post by rdrutel »

Ahudson...you seem to be painfully off the subject. Go waste someone else's topic with your mediocrity or update someone else with the latest in the mediocre approach to origami. This topic is about an upgrade to Ryuzin, not a lateral movement. Neither is it about you interpreting why he hasn't released many new designs recently. Keep your expectations to yourself and your origami skills and never tell me where mine are, I will set them myself. Take yourself out of your spotlight and also out of this discussion if you have nothing constructive to add.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Rod and Andrew stop it here! The discussion about Kamiya's work is fine as long as there are no personal attacks. I think it is interesting to hear about the different views, something like this can be made without discriminating each other.
By the way Rod, this isn't YOUR topic, it's a public topic and belongs to all of us, like every other topic on this Forum.
rdrutel

Post by rdrutel »

I think when people "watch" a topic, they get to feel a loose ownership to it, but, correctly said, it is not my topic.

Now that you are here Anna....what do you think about an upgrade to 4.X?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Well, I like 3.5 as it is but maybe Satoshi Kamiya has something in mind to make an improved Chinese Dragon, maybe wings, colour changed claws or a better paper to model ratio or who knows. Lets see what the future will bring.
mrsriggins

Post by mrsriggins »

rdrutel wrote:This does seem to be the case if you look through his galleries year by year.
I don't know the leafy sea dragon and the minotaur are pretty intense if you ask me. I can't wait to see what he does for 2009.
"There are times when hope itself is an act of heroism. So here's to hope, and everyday heroes. " -Jacqueline Carey
I totally just discovered I have a macro function on my camera- I'm lovin it!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23352404@N06/sets/
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

Im pretty sure that Chinese dragons dont have wings... thats just the european ones.
Im also really excited to see what he comes up with for '09, and what CPs he might release for the '08 models! The 22.5 structure is much more fun to fold, and from my experiences, is pretty hard, yet rewarding to design with. Every day I check his site hoping to see some new creation replace that crease pattern...
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Maybe there could be an update to turn Ryuzin into something like this:
[img]http://sale.images.woot.com/The_Perfect ... Detail.png[/img]
mrsriggins

Post by mrsriggins »

that would be awesome! I that pic I want a tree like that!
"There are times when hope itself is an act of heroism. So here's to hope, and everyday heroes. " -Jacqueline Carey
I totally just discovered I have a macro function on my camera- I'm lovin it!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23352404@N06/sets/
rdrutel

Post by rdrutel »

You know...looking at the tail, it is a lot less detailed than the rest of the model and could be something to tackle in another version.