Crane feet

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

ok blitz bird bas
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

perhaps feet with toes, like lang's dancing crane?
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

i have no idea where the truth is any more... i read somewhere else in this forum, that the modified bird base "therealchris" posted was actually NOT the stretched bird base, despite what peter engels says, and that some people know it as a sunken bird base... and there IS a base (somewhere) called a stretched bird base and it actually is stretched... (i've just looked up the thread and the guy saying that that isnt a stretched bird base is joseph wu, and the link he gave was for a model of eeyore, http://www.folds.net/tutorial/models/ee ... grams.html)

so who is right? my guess is that peter engels was wrong to print his book with that base named as it is... it should be the sunken bird base
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

We should take a poll. :)

What Chris has shown in his step folds - I would call that a sunken bird base, rather than stretched, since all four main flaps (from the four corners of the square) are still of the same length as the original bird base. The stretched bird base has two longer points (hence the stretching) and two shorter points (as a consequence of the stretching).

The steps for folding the stretched bird base is almost the same as that of the sunken bird base shown above, until step 5. Then at step 5, the spine of the paper (ie one of the main diagonals) lies flat and straight, while the top and bottom flaps are flattened. These two flaps will be the shortened ones.
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

I agree with wolf. I think that even peter engels can get things wrong... and the actual shapes of the bases seem to describe what they are best
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

What do you all think about publishing a list with Origamiterms for the forum in which we define all the mentioned bases with own names so that we can refer to it?
It could be this kind of way:
*) Diagram
*) Forum definition (lets say for example donkey-base)
*) Definition found in literatur (for example stretched bird-base)

So we would always speak about the same when we mention the forum definition. It would be interesting to make a list of all used Origamiterms and maybe their translations in other languages. And we could define names for bases who haven´t names yet.
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

good idea... but i think we should either emphasise the "real" name or avoid making up our own names, otherwise we cause more confusion for people.

although i do like donkey base! funny
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

OK just to let those of you know who were invlved in the debate about the bases, i've started a new thread for that discussion in "diagrams" called "bases".
Calfaile

Post by Calfaile »

Might I point out that the "tail" on the traditional crane actually *are* the legs? Real cranes don't have long pointy tails do they?