The proper way to string cranes.

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
cybermystic

The proper way to string cranes.

Post by cybermystic »

Does anybody know the proper way to make the thousand cranes? I want to make a set, but I'm unclear as to how I put them together?
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

I don't know if there's a "proper" way that you simply must use to string the cranes. A common method is to use a long needle and thread. The needle is inserted into the hole at the base of the crane and comes out at the apex of the crane's back (ie the middle of the square). Repeat until you've filled the thread with cranes.

Or you could staple them to threads, staple their wings together, glue their wings together, sticky tape their tails together, etc, etc... :D
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

Thank you. The last time I made them, I strung them with a thread. I wasn't sure if that was the proper, traditional way or if I was violating some sacred rule or another.
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

ive come across diagrams where you cut a peice of paper into smaller squares, leaving each one hanging by one or more not-totally-cut peices... so for instance if you took a square and cut it along the horizontal and vertical bisectors but not quite to the centre you could then fold four cranes joined at the beak, tail or wing, depending on how u folded them... i have also seen one where a very large square is divided into a ring of squares around a larger, inner square, then two of the sides are matched up so you have a string of cranes made of double thickness, then two strings of cranes going to the corners of the largest square which itself becomes a large crane... see "folding the universe" for the details.
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

I've seen that too, hermann, but I thought that was just for a hanging basket. Don't get me wrong, I've used that method for smaller projects and had some nice successes. For instance, I made a group of fifteen smaller cranes supporting one larger one, with five supporting each wing merging with the five doublethick small ones forming the main column. I want to fold a thousand cranes, individually, and string them in groups of a hundred.
The method you describe makes for pleasing arrangements, but would be somewhat impractical for large amounts. For one thing, dividing the paper that small would mean starting with an absolute leviathan of a sheet. I can only imagine cafefully cutting it down into tens of squares only to slip and have to start over. Also, paper is heavy. Individual sheets are light, but putting the weight of a hundred on the topmost crane? The thin bits would tear within a week!
Please understand me; I'm not trying to shoot you down. If it is possible to use that method, I'd love to see it done! Personally, I can't do it.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Try using glue, paper sealant or tape to strengthen the thin connection points. BT, DT. :D

Alternatively, use a paper with lots of long, strong fibres, eg unryu or kozo.
omzig89

the art of folding a thousand cranes

Post by omzig89 »

This website actually has the scanned pages of the oldest book published about origami. Sure, it's not so easy cuz it's in Japanese (old Japanese, to tell the truth.) But the pictures are very clean. You can check it out here.

Love me. 8)
STOP CALLING THEM PATTERNS!!!!!
THEY ARE DIAGRAMS!!!!!

-- omzig89
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

you sound so apologetic. you dont have to worry about shooting me down. I had no idea you meant so many cranes! good luck with that. I saw recently an exhibition called "the art of can" which was basically a redbull (energy drink which tastes like crap) sponsored exhibition where people tried to make things out of redbull cans. The slogan for the stuff is "redbull gives you wings" so some clever git came up with the idea of opening a can and stringing several hundred origami cranes in a box around it as if they were flying out of it. very clever because (a) it didnt need any metal work or actually making anything out of the can like you were supposed to (b) it got the sponsors so excited they couldnt help but win a prize because it was a cheap advert.

Anyway... i couldnt really tell how they were strubng except they were on thin black strings, sometimes severaL ont he same string, one abve the other... maybe they were held in place by knots or glue.

good luck and show us the result of your efforts!
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah