Need a book suggestion

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Jen

Need a book suggestion

Post by Jen »

This is for the modular origami experts here! :D

Some of you may have read my posting to the O-list about my day teaching. At the end of the day, one of the teachers asked me if I would be willing to speak to some of the teachers from their school about modular origami and math. GREAT! Problem is that I don't really do modular origami. I had a couple of cubes made from sonobe units there and challenged the kids to figure out how to put the extra pieces I had folded together to make some more cubes. That is the extent of my modular skill and knowledge, and math and I have never gotten along well! :roll:

I've been looking at some books and trying to figure out which one would be the best to learn from and present to these teachers. I'm cosidering Rona Gurkewitz's book "3-D Geometric Origami". Any thoughts? Please remember that this has to be a simple book. ;) :lol:
*~Jen~*
stuckie27

Post by stuckie27 »

geometry, well I can say you can give examples of different solids

I suggest Tomoko Fuse's Unit Origami, because of the wonderful diagrams and the great folding sequence. With some backround on the solids.

I also suggest Kasaharas Origami Omnibus because he dives deep into the aspect ot the different polyhedrons, but his constructions arent as elegant as tomoko's are.

Origami for the conniseour has a wonderful section on sonobe units and some great math models as well.

What type of teaching do you want to do?

May I suggest giving Tom Hull an email about the subject, he I belive has given several speeches on the subject His email is thull@merrimack.edu

This looks interesting too, http://www.paperfolding.com/math/

[/code]