Nanopaper!

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
wolf
Forum Sensei

Nanopaper!

Post by wolf »

Yep, it's here at last - flexible material made from carbon nanotubes. I think if you run the tensile strength comparisons, it'll beat Origamido paper hands down...

http://www.nanotechweb.org/articles/news/4/2/2/1

I'm assuming it's a centimetre rule in the kabuto picture, so admittedly it's not so impressive, since this simple model can be folded out of a much smaller square of foil.

And here's a crane, done by another research group a year earlier:

http://staff.aist.go.jp/h-kataura/nanotubebird.html
http://www.nanoworld.jp/apnw/articles/l ... f/2-35.pdf (pdf reader with Japanese language support needed for this one)

Now, how do I go about ordering larger sheets of that stuff... :D
FunkeeFolder

Post by FunkeeFolder »

Way cool! I would love to fold with that paper, and it seems to hold creases really well. Thank you for posting those articles, it sounds like a nice new origami paper was invented! :wink:
And I'm with you on how do we order sheets of this stuff.
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

i expect u wont be able to buy it for a while yet, and even when u can it will be expensive. nanotubes are extremely cool though... i remember when they were discovered... you can make them out of sonobe modules if u have the patience... and if you use pentagons and heptagons u can put bends and even branches in them.
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah
Nesting Crane

Post by Nesting Crane »

Does this mean the use of Nanites are involved, or is this just a catchy name they gave it? :-k
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

the name comes from the prefix "nano" which means one billionth, and the term nanotechnology which means technology on the nanometre scale (the scale which is measured in billionths of a metre). Nano is a big buzz word in science at the moment... nanotubes, nanotechnology, nanomaterials, nanoparticles, etc etc etc. I have no idea what a nanite is.
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

hermanntrude wrote:I have no idea what a nanite is.
Man, are people still using that term?? Nanites are about as real as flower fairies or lurking grues.

No, the tubes are made using fairly standard semiconductor processing methods. Their diameters are around 10-40 nanometres, and their lengths are about 100-1000 times this figure.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Since the question about this paper arose in another topic, I took the liberty to bring this topic up front again.
Anyone knows any news about this? Any changes during the last half year?
A quick search on the internet didn't give me any news.

I'd love to get hold of a piece of that paper to try it :)
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

It's still around, but it's unlikely to be mass-produced any time soon since there isn't much commercial use for a sheet of carbon nanotube paper (yet). :) The sheet was made to demonstrate a particular carbon nanotube growth and assembly technique, rather than a viable end product.