Christmas Origami Book 2008

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Sadarac

Post by Sadarac »

After seeing kafars cp modifaction on mine it rocks so i Un-kick myself.

ON TOPIC: i think that ive decided on my submissions.

wyvern (i tested it on my geometry teacher. she didnt understand the open sink and found a few minor errors in my text directions but not anything huge. a friend of mine argured that a wyvern HAS to have feet but i said it was an interpritation and he doesnt know much about origami anyways :))
glider (next to be tested)

horned slug (very simple. harder the glider though. the question is whether to submit diagrams and cp or just diagrams or just cp.)
simple bird (called that becuase i cant identiy a specific spesies that it looks like)
ribbon (pratice with reverse folds) CP ONLY

Next year possibles(excluded this year do to time limitations from school)
simple iron bored
migrateing bird

what is a good program to make cps with? so far the "cps" are just pictures of the model unfolded and flattened as much as possible.
Origami forums design group viewtopic.php?p=49612#49612
"When you put a crease in a piece of paper, You're essentially changeing the memory of that piece." - Erik Demaine (from "Between the Folds")
Max

Post by Max »

You could use ORIPA to draw your CP. Perhaps Langs Reference Finder would be a possible choice too. I never tried it.

By the way, after seeing Kafars Cp modification my first thought was...doesn't that look a bit similar to Satoshis Ryu zin 1.0?
Sadarac

Post by Sadarac »

i havent seen the ryu zin so i wouldnt know. and i cant seem to get oripa to work. im gonna try to redownload it.
"When you put a crease in a piece of paper, You're essentially changeing the memory of that piece." - Erik Demaine (from "Between the Folds")
Kafar
Forum Sensei

Post by Kafar »

Ryu Zin 1.0 is boxpleated, Sea Serpent is partly boxpleated, the head is made from the modified bird base
Sadarac

Post by Sadarac »

ahhh okay well. how did this come up? the sea serpent isnt gonna be in the ebook is it???
Sadarac

Post by Sadarac »

well personally i think that you should diagramm it for the book. and then later publically realese just the cp. but thats just me. or course you can put it in so long as you make a side note that it was a mod on my model. and you might want to sight your target image but thats not needed, it up to you on that.
i guess you can do the cp but i would rather see diagramms for this.
makeing oripa work has been a pain :( downloading stuff still :(
sorry if i spelt something wrong. :(
mike352

Post by mike352 »

If you're still having problems with ORIPA, perhaps you can read through this thread for any answers: viewtopic.php?t=3235

Mike
Sadarac

Post by Sadarac »

thanks, but thats not my problem with it. i cant download the the java stuff to make it run:(

what do you guys think of my submissions (based on title)?
Mars

Post by Mars »

Sadarac wrote:thanks, but thats not my problem with it. i cant download the the java stuff to make it run:(
If you have Windows 2000, you can't download ORIPA :(
Keep on trying, it will work.
Sadarac

Post by Sadarac »

i downloaded all of the stuff but it still wont work ARRG!! i think that i wont be subbmitting my ribbon or momo cp :( but i do have momo diagrams still:)

i have windows xp if i remember correctly.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

You could draw CPs or diagrams with the free program Inkscape:
http://www.inkscape.org/
Max

Post by Max »

Since you can't divide angles with Inkscape, drawing a more complex cp with it will be very time consuming i suppose.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

You can make the angles snap to different values when you use Ctrl, though. I think its in the settings... I've set mine to 22.5 degrees.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Sadarac

Post by Sadarac »

well the CP's are very simple and i figured out a good way to do it. BY HAND TOO. because my models are so simple I can just fold it. Un fold it. Lay tracerpaper over it. trace in pencil. INK OVER! WHOOOOHOOOOO!!! best idea i have had yet!!! But i think that im not gonna put my ribbon in the e-book because i think its acctually kinda crappy. and i have other stuff anyways. now i have to decide if my slug is just a CP or diagrammed too :?
Max

Post by Max »

Arg, i nearly diagrammed a whole model without knowing that function *g*

Well, thanks Cupcake :-)