Does Pure Origami belong to regular square only?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...

Does Pure Origami belong to regular square only?

Yes, regular square is the only starting shape
45%
No, choose the shape you want but it has to be regular (equilateral triangle, pentagon, hexagon, etc.)
23%
Take it easy and fold what you want.
32%

Total votes: 74

origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

In my opinion pure Origami holds by the definition one square of paper, no cuts no glue no treatment besides from your hands only is allowed (e.g. no painting).
Origami = Folding paper, so no other materials are allowed for pure Origami.

Personally I use every regular Polygon for folding (though I never used anything else than rectangle, hexagon or very seldom triangle or heptagon), but I prefer squares over each other shape. Multiple pieces are ok for me as long as they attach to each other by folding only. Every further treatment of the paper has to be done before the actual folding process begins (back coating with either foil or MC, painting, cutting to the desired shape,...), as soon as the folding begins no other treatment is allowed any more. This is only my personal set of rules that no one else has to follow. Everyone can decide on his/her own what is allowed and what not, but for me a model that has been cut and glued during the folding process can't be Origami any more, it may be a nice piece of art, but that's it.
Mars

Post by Mars »

I personally think that any shape can be origami. As for cutting and gluing, and don't think it's much of a big deal if you make minor cuts during the folding process, but NO glue! All I care about is that it looks cool and neat. That's what I think.
Keep on trying, it will work.
unknownfolder

Post by unknownfolder »

It is fine to start with shape other than square at the start, but adding to an animal model a head or torso is off-limits. I am fine with modular origami because it usually tells you it is modular in the diagrams. Too many two sheet + diagrams never specify it will take two sheets, which quite frankly annoys me. :x I say Origami belongs to one sheet since I immediately think of one sheet when it comes to folding.
Whenever I do complex Origami I get this sinking feeling.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

That's very true! It should be forbidden not to tell beforehand how many sheets will be needed to complete a model.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

First I want to say this: lol at Visionary and OrigamiGianluca's posts. If you look, they were written only 1 minute apart :lol:

No, purism is not meant to discriminate, but then what is it meant to do? Is it meant to define the art, is it meant to break from tradition or define what is 'modern origami', or is it simply meant to impose limitations? I am personally not entirely sure. Part of it is to impose limitations because really anything can be folded from a single uncut square-and it is more 'impressive' to do it that way, too. But there is certainly more to it than just that-many people consider it to not be origami if it doesn't at least partially adhere to purism standards (no cuts, no glue). And some people are probably just too lazy to cut their paper to other shapes or carry around scissors, glue, and tape.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Here's my two cents:

Folding paper that isn't a square, be it rectangle or triangle, is still origami. Origami means "folding paper", and not "folding paper that has to be a square". However, this doesn't mean that it's "pure".

In order for it to be "pure" origami, one has to use a single square, no cuts glue etc. I used to think that other shapes such as rectangles were fine because one could fold a square into them (or them into squares), but the extra thickness from dividing a square into 12ths for Lang's cuckoo clock is too much to handle.

I usually carry with me a little envelope opener paper cutter thingy to cut paper into clean squares.
My super growing flickr gallary- Check it out!
_Insert witty signature here_
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

no glue means
1. no mc paper
2. no foiled paper

if you really think glue is forbidden, then its also forbidden to glue two sheets of paper together, especially with mc. there is NO DIFFERENCE between between "first gluing then folding" and "first folding then glueing". the reason why mc paper is pure satanic stuff is the fact, that you take profit of the glue that you use to glue the sheets together. to forbid using glue to fix flaps and using foiled paper or mc paper is a double standard... no matter how you turn and twist and try to sneak out of it [img]http://freenet-homepage.de/origamichris ... ndance.gif[/img]
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

You're allowed to think this way and I'm allowed to think otherwise. Isn't this a fantastic world we live in? :D
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

hmm... well I think this was said many months ago, in another topic, but it's relevant so I'll bring it up here: a "pure" model uses no cuts or glue... after you start folding. Backcoating, MC, etc is still allowable, if used before folding begins. Likewise, the paper can be cut into a triangle, octagon, hexagon, whatever... but once you start folding, no more cuts.

I generalized this idea to mean that "pure" origami may use cuts and glue, but only if the design doesn't depend on it. For example, when you're folding a model that starts with a hexagon, you don't have to cut it... you can just fold the edges over. In this sense, a modular may be glued to make it more permanent-- but it must stay together somewhat with folding alone.
OrigamiGianluca

Post by OrigamiGianluca »

Again, it is very far from me with this post to set a universal set of rules of origami.

@ TheRealChris
I'm not agree with you, because following your tought even the concept of paper should not exhist since it is made by glued fibers :wink:
I mean, don't confuse the material with the tecnique.
They are strictly tied up together, and it is true that sometime only with a certain material you are able to reach your desired target, but I think origami starts after paper, as well as carving starts after wood, stone, ice, ect.

Actually my idea of origami is the same as the origami_8 one. Image

I like very muck how this discussion is going on and what I can read in :)
www.origamigianluca.com --> Fold with me...

Looking for some diagramming tips? Click HERE!
lhs1701

Post by lhs1701 »

My apologies if I have not been clear.

I agree that the questions below are concepts.
What is a mountain fold?
What is a valley fold?

I am taking about definitions, talking about naming a concept.
Why call a fold a mountain fold? Here it is clear and intuitive, because it looks like a mountain. If this had not been defined in the past, why can't I call it peak fold? Why? because if I do, only I can understand what a peak fold is until I explained it to others.

So what is pure origami?
Some expert can define it, most or everyone agrees to it, so, it becomes a definition for pure origami. Any deviation from it, by definition is not pure origami.
OrigamiGianluca

Thank you for this explanation, and sorry too for my misunderstanding :wink:
and I agree with you with the importance definition.

lhs1701

Post by lhs1701 »

To be honest, I often wondered what is meant by "no glue", no using of glue?

Just note that paper in the process of being made make use of glue or adhesive at some stage, so use of glue cannot be avoided?

No cutting? because origami is paper folding? 100% no cutting? or 100% folding? In some origami technique one often wonders whether a certain technique can be considered folding. Crushing paper perhaps? wetfolding requires use of water so is this still pure origami? etc.

Starting from a square? ok by me, but why a square? what is the special significance of a square that makes it pure? Can I consider a hexagon pure?

I am not referring to discrimination. I can pointing out the weakness of the usual definition of pure origami and if this is rigidly defined and perhaps updated when new techniques are introduced. Once this definition is defined, then ok. At least everyone knows clearly what pure origami is. Models can then be created that complies with the definition of pure origami.

Based on the definition of pure origami, i find it difficult to accept modular folding as pure origami. This is because there no 100% folding in such modular models, there is a lot of assembling effort in involved, so does pure origami includes in addition to folding, includes assembling as well?

This is because if modular origami is accepted why not models that consists of say, two parts, one for the front of the animal and the other for the back of the animal? Are they not similar to modular folding too?

Note that my point has been on the definition of origami and I am challenging this definition and wonders if it could have been better defined.
Adam

Post by Adam »

No glue means that you don't use glue during the folding process. It's of course unavoidable to not use glue in the paper making process itself, but that's irrelevant with regard to the folding process.

The 'no glue' and such refer to the folding process. Once you make the first crease you should not cut the paper to form additional flaps, for example, and you shouldn't glue the paper to hold things into place.

The square is special because it's a shape that you can easily create and it is symmetrical in many ways. The proportions are always the same. Making a hexagon is a lot harder, so taking that as a starting shape wouldn't really be convenient.

In short, using additional tools during the folding process - whether it's glue or scissors - makes it impure Origami. Pure origami is when you use a square of paper and your hands and nothing else.
OrigamiGianluca

lhs1701 wrote: Starting from a square? ok by me, but why a square? what is the special significance of a square that makes it pure? Can I consider a hexagon pure?
That was the point for me, pure origame comes from pure shapes (equal sides and equal angles), no cuts, no glues.
But, after reading your opinions, my personal one is not still as "rocky" as before.

To be honest too, for example, I've considered for very much time that using computer to create models was a sort cheating. Now, even if I still don't use this tecnique, I've studied on it and I've definitively changed my opinion about.