Inflating.

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Nesting Crane

Inflating.

Post by Nesting Crane »

I have a few folds in my books that requite me to inflate my origami by blowing in a hole.

Do any of you have a problem with this?

My problem is that no matter how hard I blow it doesn't inflate. I mean when you are having to blow so hard that you blow the project right out of your hands, then it just isn't going to happen.

Has anybody encountered this problem, and what solutions, if any, did you come up with? :?
malachi

Post by malachi »

I usually don't inflate those types of models by blowing in them. Instead I carefully try to expand the paper by pulling the layers apart.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Don't do an extended, long blow. It doesn't work, and your saliva will make hte paper soggy. Do small, short puffs, maybe 3 or 4 at a time. Repeat as necessary. You'll need to practice this, but you'll find it works better than trying to blow your hardest.
Nesting Crane

Post by Nesting Crane »

malachi,

I tried that today for the very first time. I thought it might work better. I found it to be difficult because of the creases. The paper was not very cooperative because of them. However, I guess practice makes perfect.

Joseph Wu,

Well, the problem is that it is not budging at all. Short blows or long ones it remains the same. Could it be because I folded it too tightly? :?
Friet

Post by Friet »

Maybe it's because you're using thick paper?
saj

Post by saj »

Can I just ask what model you're trying to fold? With the waterbomb (more common inflattable model) I've always blown fairly hard into it and it always works!

Saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
Nesting Crane

Post by Nesting Crane »

Friet,

No, not for that project. I do use thick paper for the Nesting Crane, because it comes out so beautifully that way. Otherwise, I use the standard assorted colored sheets. Like the ones you can usually get at most craft stores.

saj,

Well, I don't remember the actual name of it. It is a Crane. If you are using the ashHawaiian interface for this forum, then it will be the crane that is at the top right corner of this website.

However, I have had other projects that required inflating in the past and I had the same problem. :?
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

For the traditional crane, often the hole becomes too small for you to actually get any air into it. The best way to expand the crane is to pull the wings. Peel the wings away from the body so that you can hold them at the point closest to the body, one in each hand. Then pull gently apart and the body will open up nicely. The key is holding the wings as close to the body as possible.
Nesting Crane

Post by Nesting Crane »

OK. I will give that a try and see what I come up with. Thanks for ya'll's help. :D