How to diagram your models

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
phillipcurl

Re: How to diagram your models

Post by phillipcurl »

I was talking about the arrows, but what you are talking about is a mountain fold to give the body volume.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

No, i mean a bit like this: (as close as i can get with text)
O_O_O_O_>
One loop for every curl, make the area to be curled darker, and if it's the light side of the paper, don't make it the same shade as the dark side.
Also, bracket the length to be curled.
That way, you know
Where to curl,
How much to curl
And where to fit the curls into.
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]
Tahaorigami

Post by Tahaorigami »

Hello.
I have just started using inkscape and also started diagramming but I just have a problem. I want to draw a preliminary base and I drew a diamond but I dont know how to show a little of the layers spreding at the edges like shown here in step 2:
The diamond which I drew is flat. Showing a little layers spreading will give it a good look.
Thanks.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

When I draw diagrams I usually start with a square object with filling and then cut it along the fold lines and rotate the individual layers like needed. Then I transform them a bit like needed to show the layer contribution. I usually draw diagrams in Freehand but this should be possible in Inkscape too - I know it is in Illustrator. The positive side effect of this method is, that you always have the same layers like in your actual model with the correct sizes and everything.
Tahaorigami

Post by Tahaorigami »

Thanks!
myself

Post by myself »

Inkscape looks really good, but every time I open it, it says "duration error". #-o
Does anyone know why?
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

When asking a computer question, always provide this stuff:
Operating system
RAM capacity (random access memory, DO NOT include virtual RAM, or the actual memory of your computer)
The error message in its entirety
Crash report if one is present

Answer those questions and I or whoever beats me to it will be able to further assist you. For now, uninstall inkscape, restart your PC, and reinstall it.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

I wanted to ask a new origami symbol question: ¿how can I make an arrow that means "make a pleat fold and then unfold it"?
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
maddoghoek100

Post by maddoghoek100 »

Cant say any of the models i have ever diagrammed or designed needed such a step, but i think i would use the following. Most i have seen do the pleat and then say unfold to step ___ .

Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

maddoghoek100 wrote:Cant say any of the models i have ever diagrammed or designed needed such a step, but i think i would use the following. Most i have seen do the pleat and then say unfold to step ___ .
Thats' an excellent symbol... thank you very much for the idea!
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

What do you use to compile the steps that form the complete diagram? I mean you can use Inkscape (or Corel Draw or whatever) to draw each step but how do you put together all those steps to make a complete diagram?

I'm asking because I submitted a diagram once and I used Inkscape or something similar to make each individual drawing of each step and then used Microsoft Word to arrange the different steps into a two column table and add text beneath each step and the person that received the diagram thought it was odd that it was in Word and thought I had drawn the whole thing using the very limited drawing tools that Word has.
marckrsh

Post by marckrsh »

Most drawing programs (like Inkscape and Corel Draw!) are capable of adding text to your drawing. They also have features like grid lines and guides that you can adjust and "snap" to. You should also have various alignment tools (space out diagrams evenly, etc.). MS Word is a bit clunky in those areas. For the sentence or two that is needed for most steps, the inline editors in a drawing program should suffice. Good luck! - Marc
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

marckrsh wrote:Most drawing programs (like Inkscape and Corel Draw!) are capable of adding text to your drawing. They also have features like grid lines and guides that you can adjust and "snap" to. You should also have various alignment tools (space out diagrams evenly, etc.). MS Word is a bit clunky in those areas. For the sentence or two that is needed for most steps, the inline editors in a drawing program should suffice. Good luck! - Marc
Does anyone know where the tools that Mark is mentioning here, are located in the Inkscape tool bars?
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

Brimstone wrote:
marckrsh wrote:Most drawing programs (like Inkscape and Corel Draw!) are capable of adding text to your drawing. They also have features like grid lines and guides that you can adjust and "snap" to. You should also have various alignment tools (space out diagrams evenly, etc.). MS Word is a bit clunky in those areas. For the sentence or two that is needed for most steps, the inline editors in a drawing program should suffice. Good luck! - Marc
Does anyone know where the tools that Mark is mentioning here, are located in the Inkscape tool bars?
It should say something like "Display" (I don't have the english version of it)

the buttons in the top row say: file, edit, display, layer, object, curve, text, filters, extensions and help, you'll find what you're looking for in the menu that opens after clicking the third button.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

origamipete wrote:the buttons in the top row say: file, edit, display, layer, object, curve, text, filters, extensions and help, you'll find what you're looking for in the menu that opens after clicking the third button.
The menu is called "View", but I don't see how the options on that menu could do what Mark was talking about.