Origamics Mathematical Explorations Through Paper Folding??

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Sushy

Origamics Mathematical Explorations Through Paper Folding??

Post by Sushy »

Hey guys!
I'm new to this forum and I really like it. I hope I can spend more time on it to support Origami. Anyway, I found this book on the net (Origamics: Mathematical Explorations Through Paper Folding) and I'm not sure if it is worth to buy ?? I already have the Lang book Origami Design Secrets. So I was wondering if it has new aspects in it and may it help to design or to understand crease patterns?? Does anyone know it??

best regards Sushy
FoldingMachine

Post by FoldingMachine »

Hiya, thanks for pointing the book out! having enjoyed Langs ODS I have decided to buy Origamics, should have it by tuesday - expect feedback then, cheers :)
J a m e s
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

This book isn't related to understanding CPs at all. It's a book about math, not a book about origami design. That being said, it's a very interesting book of math, but really not like ODS at all. I wouldn't get it unless you really like geometry.

If you're looking for a book to help you become a better designer (like ODS does) then I'd recommend Jun Maekawa's Genuine Origami. Some of the models aren't that impressive, but it talks a lot about the concepts and design styles behind the models (plus it's a lot cheaper than Lang's book!)

In terms of learning to understand CPs, there aren't really any books that help much with that-- you'll have better luck with some of the various tutorials posted on the internet. There's a sticky about it that has several links: viewtopic.php?t=2131
Sushy

Post by Sushy »

Thanks for the answers. Well, many of the tutorials for the CPs aren't completed and some are just like, find all the long creases their are often basing creases and so on and forth. My problem is rather finding a way to fold the creases in a way its explained in a diagram. Not to print out a CP and then fold along the black lines and then unfold it, locate another and again and in the end trying to collapse to get the base of the model. Maybe I have to practise more, not giving it up ;)
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

...then you're looking for something that doesn't exist.

CPs are hard to fold from. Aside from knowing how to find references, there's really not anything you can do to make it easier-- it just takes lots of time and energy, every single time.

There aren't any books that show how to do CPs easily simply because it can't be done. Even experienced folders have to spend a lot of time flipping the direction of creases, trying to figure out how to make it collapse. That's just how CPs are.

It's like playing a really difficult piece on piano-- you just have to put hours and hours of time into it. You can't do anything to make it easier; you just have to sit down and do it. That's why the good CP folders like Anermak and Artur get so much respect around here-- they've put so much time into it, and very few of us have that sort of dedication.