How to divide a rectangle in fifths?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Brimstone
Buddha

How to divide a rectangle in fifths?

Post by Brimstone »

I would like to fold Thoki Yenn's magic rings from http://www.elrecords.co.uk/thok/umulius.html It includes dividing silver rectangles in 5ths.

All I've found have been divisions for squares. Is there a method for dividing rectangles in 5 equal parts?
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Dividing the narrow edge into fifths is relatively simple - just mark off one square at either of the long ends of the strip, then do the square division process on that end, on the narrow edge. :D

As for the wide edge, I haven't thought of a quick way yet...

[Edit] Well duh, once you've got the narrow edge marked off, just fold up the long side so that it completely lies across the narrow divisions. Then just mark off the long side, using the narrow divisions as a guide...
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

The first method is so simple that I am embarrased not having figured it out myself.

The second one I could not understand you. What do you mean by "just fold up the long side so that it completely lies across the narrow divisions"?

Wouldn't you get only part of the long side to lie on the narrow divisions?
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

It's an extension of the technique where you place a square paper at an angle to a set of parallel lines. It's similar to step 3 of this division:

http://web.mit.edu/chosetec/www/origami ... deside.jpg

where the lower left corner of the rectangle meets the top edge of the rectangle instead. Since you already have the parallel lines marking the narrow divisions, you can now use those to mark off divisions on the slanted long edge.

Incidentally, the above division method will work for rectangles too, not just squares.