Sara's Video thread: wish a model

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Sara

Sara's Video thread: wish a model

Post by Sara »

Many of you probably already know about my ongoing origami video project. I make instructional videos on selected models, and, yes, with permission from the designers. See http://www.happyfolding.com or http://www.youtube.com/user/AdamsSara for examples.

It seems my latest video, "The Last Waltz" by Neil Elias, is the most well received video thus far. It's surely partly due to it having the best quality thus far, but I don't think that's the end of it.
"The Last Waltz" is a model which many know, but it's hard to get diagrams or CP for it. So I wonder, maybe I should concentrate more on making videos for models that aren't as accessible.
The trouble with that is that I have to know how to fold it, of course. But maybe bad access just means the stuff hasn't been published. Or the books are out of print.

Hence, this thread. I'd love to hear which models you thing I should demonstrate in my next video. I'll obviously always make the final decision, but some inspiration always helps.

I don't want to restrict the suggestions much, but here are my rules:
1) There is some source from which I can learn to fold the model.
If it's in the BOS Library, for example, I can probably get a copy. If it's your own design and you only have some rough sketches, that'll probably do, too [although it'd help if you were open for questions].
2) The model isn't hugely complex.
A model that can be explained in one hour or below is usually the difficulty I aim for. I might make exceptions, but as soon as folding without explaining already takes more than an hour it's probably going to be too much work.
3) I have to be able to contact the copyright holder for permission.
Please always include the designer's name in your post. If you have additional information (e.g. different copyright holder for deceases designers), do add it or contact me privately.
4) Optional, but recommended: Show me a picture. Tell me why you'd like to see it highlighted in one of my video. Convince me. :D

Happy suggesting,

-- Sara

P.S. You can suggest models irrespective of whether you watch my videos. I know many here don't fold from videos, and that's fine by me. I have to admit, I don't either, and much prefer diagrams. But videos are helpful for many out there.
In other words, you can see this thread as the question: "Which model would you like others to have better access to?" within my restriction, but without the video context.
Ben385

Post by Ben385 »

Sara, I think it's great you've started this thread. I would love to see any of Neal Elias models. They are all wonderful, and I have diagrams for a few of them, but I find the diagramming stye a bit unclear. If a had to choose one of his models, it would be Llopio's moment of truth.

Thanks,

Ben
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

How about Dreaming Dog by Giang Dinh ?

1. It is a good representation of the new style of Origami that uses fewer folds to represent the subject. Similar artists include Saadya Sternberg and Bernie Peyton.

2. The diagrams don't relate the technique, easily.

3. Dreaming Cat is in License to Fold on pp. 30 -32. The difference between the cat and the dog are mainly the heads, I believe.

4. Dreaming Dog is in OrigamiUSA, Origami Collection 2007 on pp. 88 - 90.

5. It would be nice to see suggestions for the variations.

6. The style reminds me of some designs by Yoshizawa.

Thanx,

- Hank Simon
Sara

Post by Sara »

Re Elias: I'll look into it, but I think I'd prefer to do a different design in my next video. It seems diagrams are in the BOS booklet, so I'll try to buy that one at the next BOS Con.

I've just enquired at the BOS for diagrams. If that doesn't work I might contact Giangh Dinh directly. I'd have to ask for permission in any case, but I'd prefer to fold the model before that. After all, I first have to check whether I can produce something that does the model justice. I'm loving the suggestion, because it's very different to the models I've shown thus far.

-- Sara
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Stegosaurus by Ronald Koh, original diagrams in one of the 1990s OUSA books. The book is presently out of print.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Shibaraku by Hojyo Takashi
Housemaid by Ryo Kamiya
Ryu-zin 3.5 by Satoshi Kamiya

... :roll:
Sara

Post by Sara »

origamimasterjared wrote:Shibaraku by Hojyo Takashi
Housemaid by Ryo Kamiya
Ryu-zin 3.5 by Satoshi Kamiya
I'm impressed, you can fold those in less than an hour? :P

-- Sara
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Why, of course...and simultaneously. :lol:

By the way, that Stego's over 200 steps and wildly complex.
jojotoar

Post by jojotoar »

Pegasus by Robert Lang would be nice. I have trouble making it..
Rabbit by Robert J. Lang from Origami USA Convention 1988
Or Stephen Weiss models.
But I really want more of Neil Elias models. I adore him!

And thanks for making this topic, your video is really helping.
aces21

Post by aces21 »

I'd recommend anything by Roman Diaz.

I'm currently folding my way through Origami for Interpreters and every model is both a joy to fold (his folding sequences for some reason are always so natural) and the final models look good, even when folded out of 'average' paper (I haven't plucked up the courage to wet fold anything yet).
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Well, it would be nice to have some videos of Roman Diaz teaching himself, because he is an incredible teacher. I was very impressed seeing him teach complicated steps making them easily understandable to everyone.
飛竜

Post by 飛竜 »

llopio´s moment of truth!

Because I reeeally love this model it is beautiful and quite impressive.
it is by neil elias and have not been able to get the diagram but I know it is publish by BOS
moman

Post by moman »

dear sara,
first of all thanks for going through so much trouble to get more and more people on board the origami train...if it wasnt for your great instructional videos i wouldve never been where i am now in origami. im pretty good at deciphering diagrams of relatively complex models (of course as a result of your efforts). only problem is i have nooo clue as to how to fold from cps. i think you can guess why though...cuz you dont have any videos on them! ive read articles here and there, but nothing does the job of an awesome homemade sara adams instructional video! i dont know if this is the right place to ask or not, or if you have even worked on cps yourself or not, but if so, are you considering on making cp videos as well?
thanx
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

I would love to see some of Noboru Miyajima's work in a video, like his wolf or any of his other animals.
pharmjod

Post by pharmjod »

Perhaps David Shall's Statue of Liberty? The existing video diagram could probably use an update.