Looking For Paper.

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Nesting Crane

Looking For Paper.

Post by Nesting Crane »

The book: Origami For The Connoisseur

The diagram: Spiral Snail Shell p.140

Does anybody know were I can get that paper? Image

Yes, the paper that is illustrated in the book.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Do you mean the specific pattern on the paper, or the type of paper in general?
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

I've had papers like that-- don't care for it, but I think I recall they have stuff like that both at Kim's Crane and the OUSA source. Or you can get papers like that in the paper crafts section of stores like Michael's... where you see the vellum and other papers.
Nesting Crane

Post by Nesting Crane »

wolf,
Do you mean the specific pattern on the paper, or the type of paper in general?
Both. I want the same exact paper that was used to create that shell. Just like the one in the book.

DavidW,
, but I think I recall they have stuff like that both at Kim's Crane and the OUSA source.
OK. What is it called? The types of papers usually have names.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

I usually call it crappy paper. Patterned paper production runs are usually short and have a limited distribution range, so if you're looking for the exact paper, you're probably out of luck.

Or you could just go to the websites listed and do a comparison of the papers they have with what's shown in the book, and find the closest match.
Nesting Crane

Post by Nesting Crane »

How do I do a comparison if I don't know what the paper is called?

The texture on it looks kind of like Momi. However, the Momi that I have is soft like cloth. The paper in the book looks like it would be a little more sturdy; however, that is just an assumption on my part. It also appears to have a little sheen to it, and none of the Momi paper that I am using seems to have that.

The book didn't give a list of websites. I have just came from the websites that DavidW mentioned, however, I didn't find what I was looking for. However, if you don't know what to look for you are really out of luck. :?
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Nesting Crane wrote:How do I do a comparison if I don't know what the paper is called?
The paper selection on online stores is typically not very large. It'll take only a few minutes to browse through all the available categories, most of which you can eliminate within seconds.
Nesting Crane wrote:It also appears to have a little sheen to it, and none of the Momi paper that I am using seems to have that.
Treating Momi paper (or almost any other paper, for that matter) with methylcellulose, paper varnish or some other chemical would make it stiffer and give you a sheen as well.
dani luddington

Post by dani luddington »

i have had some of that paper also and i really didnt care for it. i think it might have a bit of plastic in it, making it not the best to fold. now i could be wrong and be thinking of something else, but i think it is the same thing.
go to kims cranes, then to the 6 inch paper and she shows pictures(if i remember right) and browse. or you can call her and i bet she will know, she also carries books and may very well have a copy of "origami for the connoisseur", they are very nice people and will help best they can.
(smiles) dani
Nesting Crane

Post by Nesting Crane »

Well, since everyone is saying they have had that paper and it was not worth buying, then I will pass on it. I am sure that over time I will discover paper that looks just as good, but folds even better.

Dani,
i think it might have a bit of plastic in it, making it not the best to fold.
Yeah, that is what it looked like to me. Like it was made of plastic or vinyl.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Nesting Crane wrote:Well, since everyone is saying they have had that paper and it was not worth buying, then I will pass on it. I am sure that over time I will discover paper that looks just as good, but folds even better.

Dani,
i think it might have a bit of plastic in it, making it not the best to fold.
Yeah, that is what it looked like to me. Like it was made of plastic or vinyl.
Have you tried lizardskin paper? Great pattern I think and it's good for wetfolding. I learned to wetfold from it. :)
Nesting Crane

Post by Nesting Crane »

DavidW,

Well, the only reason I was interested in the paper was because I thought it went perfectly with that shell.

However, I will not rule out lizardskin. I think that would be a great paper for folds like a frog, lizard, or aligator; however, I am not ready for wetfolding yet. I am still struggling with standard folding. :)
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Paper names can be misleading sometimes, so a good description is much more useful. That so-called "mulberry" paper is a good example. I've seen it as just the paper, and in the plasticized form. And any one of hundreds of different papers could properly be called "mulberry" paper because it is a commonly used fibre for making paper in Japan.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Just like there's different kinds of vellum and parchment and kraft, all of which fold somewhat differently from each other. Even paper which comes under the same name, sold by the same company, but coming from different production runs can behave differently - OUSA's American Foil is a perfect, but annoying, example of this.
Nesting Crane wrote:however, I am not ready for wetfolding yet
One of the nice things about folding is that there isn't really a strict progressive learning sequence. Most of the various techniques, papers, types of models can be learnt in a cherry-picking, parallel, fashion.

For instance, if you already know how to fold a crane, how about folding it from different papers to learn about the folding behaviour of each paper? John Montroll's Bringing Origami to Life uses the crane in his introduction to wetfolding, although my personal opinion is that this doesn't demonstrate the effectiveness of wetfolding at all - it already holds together well enough on its own, and there's not much to sculpt on the crane. A better model to wetfold would be Robin Glynn's badger (available at http://www.glynnorigami.co.uk); there are lots of opportunities for sculpting the head, back and legs.
Hiba

Post by Hiba »

Why dont you try paiting in the paper?? Do you know Newspaperman from taiwan?? He always paint his paper and everyone must say his works are masterpieces!!
Martial and Arts
dani luddington

Post by dani luddington »

i know this is off topic, but is there a website to see the masterpieces of this "newspaperman" you speak of?