old origami magazines like OUSA...where to get them?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
MJ25

old origami magazines like OUSA...where to get them?

Post by MJ25 »

I'm looking for these magazines and convention books

old OUSA convention books

old Orison magazines

BOS convention books

and "Paper" magazines

Ive tried to buy them, and of course theyre out of print, and appartnetly theres nothere to get them online, or at least I cant find them, does any of you have any idea of what I can do?
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Where in Canada are you?
There may be a local group in your area with someone who has copies of what you're looking for.
You can also join OUSA and use their lending library.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

You can back-order old OUSA convention books online for 25 USD, although it only goes back a certain number of years. Issues of "The Paper" are not back-orderable to my knowledge, but I would recommend not pursuing it further-it is a pretty crappy magazine.
pharmjod

Post by pharmjod »

Saying the Paper is a crappy magazine is a little harsh. For a not-for-profit organization OUSA produces good quality periodicals. Granted the magazines aren't always chocked full of diagrams or late breaking news, but they are a fun glimpse into the origami community. I enjoy the back issues for historical content as much as for the diagrams, if not more so. To each his/her own though.

To answer the original question, back issues of all the groups you are looking for periodically pop up on EBay. I have accumulated enough duplicates from the various lots I have purchased that I am thinking about putting them up on EBay myself to offset the costs. Personally I enjoy piecing together a full collection of magazines like that. I will caution though to not go for too many different ones. It can get overwhelming and quite expensive after a while. I have pretty much limited myself to OUSA, BOS and JOAS. I've not seen any of the Orison magazines in person which is probably a good thing. I don't need another magazine to collect :)
MJ25

Post by MJ25 »

pharmjod, maybe you'd like to sell some magazines to me? I sent you a PM telling you the ones I am looking for exactly, tell me if youre interested, thanks :)
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

pharmjod wrote:Saying the Paper is a crappy magazine is a little harsh. For a not-for-profit organization OUSA produces good quality periodicals. Granted the magazines aren't always chocked full of diagrams or late breaking news, but they are a fun glimpse into the origami community. I enjoy the back issues for historical content as much as for the diagrams, if not more so. To each his/her own though.
Fair enough-I suppose the content I am looking for is not what The Paper provides, but I think it should have something good for everyone-I would like to see more CPs and diagrams from popular modern origamists.
pharmjod

Post by pharmjod »

That is completely reasonable. I think it would be awesome if the Paper evolved into something similar to the JOAS Tanteidan Magazine with CP's more often and a more varied content as well, but I think it is designed with more of a mass appeal in mind.
toddmagic

Re: old origami magazines like OUSA...where to get them?

Post by toddmagic »

Does anyone have for sale, the old NOA origami magazine no#162 for sale?

Thanks, Todd - I am only looking for 1 diagram from it. It is called the 'Heart Chan'.
steingar

Re: old origami magazines like OUSA...where to get them?

Post by steingar »

There will be a bunch of old Paper magazines and BOS available at CenterFold...