Paper

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
platypusguy

Paper

Post by platypusguy »

I am looking for a website where I can find some good, high quality paper. I am especially looking for tissue-foil and elephant hide.

Thanks!!!!!!!
platypusguy

Post by platypusguy »

oh almost forgot, i was also wondering how to make tissue foil. i am just getting into making a lot of my own models and paper but need to know how to buy or make tissue foil.
FunkeeFolder

Post by FunkeeFolder »

Well you can't buy tissue foil so you have to make it. Pretty much you need two sheets of tissue (kraft paper, mulberry paper, ect.) and some light duty foil. Next you need a cutting mat, a cutting utensil, a straight edge, and some spray adhesive.
Put a table OUTSIDE (can't stress this enough!) with some newspaper on it, now put down a sheet of foil (cut so it's bigger than the sheet of tissue) and spray it (with the spary adhesive obviously) about 5 inches (about 13 cm) away from the foil. Now once that's done wait for a couple of seconds then line up one edge of the tissue with the straightest edge of the foil. (this is tricky good luck :) ) Once you got it the straightest you can slowly press the tissue away from you onto the foil (try not to get creases amd bubbles in it) until you have pressed it tottaly onto the foil! (Now do a happy dance :D/ )

We are now going to make a second straight edge so that the second piece of tissue is aligned right! (am I confusing you yet?) Put the straight edge ( it is now known as a ruler for ease of talking) on the right side of the straight edge(the paper). Put the ruler so that it is on the tissue not the foil, now when it it perfectly aligned with the edge cut the foil (I find one stroke from the middle up then one stroke from the middle down works.) Now if you want repeat on the other side and the top, but I usally leave these so that if you mess up a little you have some leeway!
Now turn over and repeat the spraying, laying, and cutting! Now you should have a tissued foiled piece of paper!

Now if I have TOTTALY confused you please forgive me! If you have any questions I am here!

Good Luck

Funkee Folder
You can make one of those swan thingys! Wow!
-----------------------
Quote from one of the many people who mistook a crane for a swan. Don't you just love em'!
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Why do you use foil that is larger than the paper?

I specifically do the opposite. Take a rectangle of aluminum foil and two sheets of tissue (or similar) paper that are larger. Spray adhesive onto the foil on one side and place the tissue down (starting in the center trying to keep as free from wrinkles as possible. Don't worry about aligning anything, just smooth out, then flip over and repeat.

Cut along the long straight edges of the foil (which you can see easily through the paper) It should be easy to further cut (or tear) whatever squares/rectangles you need from this piece.

I used to be able to make totally wrinkle-free sheets this way.
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

I wrap a sheet of tissue around a cardboard tube (left over from a roll of gift wrap). Then after spraying the foil I roll the tissue out onto it.
After repeating this on the other side I draw a large rectangle on the tissue foil, using a T square, a large set square and a ruler to keep everything accurate. Then I just cut out the rectangle with scissors.
FunkeeFolder

Post by FunkeeFolder »

I just like to use a larger square of foil, and square up one edge then cut the other edges even. Everyone has there own style when doing something and I just like that style. :D Oh and platypusguy do whatever you feel most comfortable with!

Funkee Folder
-----------------------
Quote from one of the many people who mistook a crane for a swan. Don't you just love em'!
Paul

Thanks

Post by Paul »

What about just plain ole Origami paper???

Paul
FunkeeFolder

Post by FunkeeFolder »

What about just plain ole Origami paper???
Ha ha ha, sometimes I ask myself that same question! Oh but for the most part foil is a good paper that doesn't tear (unless under severe pressure!) and makes a pretty nice sculpted model. Though it can be a pain in folds that need lots of pre-creasing. I must say good ole origami paper is nice too! :D

Funkee Folder
-----------------------
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

This question might seem very silly to many, but it is not so for people who do not live in the US and have never seen what it is referred to as "plain origami paper"

Could someone please give me a description of this paper? I know it is called kami but what else? Is it pre-cut in squares? If so what size? Is it by-colored or just white on one side and colored on the other side? How thin it is?
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

"Plain origami paper" is commonly referred to as "kami" (which translates simply to "paper") by English speakers, but the Japanese call it "origami". It is quite thin (thinner than standard photocopy paper, but thicker than standard tracing paper), but is crisp and folds well. It is usually coloured on one side and white on the other. Standard sizes include 15 cm squares (the most common), 25 cm squares, 7.5 cm squares, and 5 cm squares. Some companies will make other sizes, both smaller and larger.
Helix Snake

Long paper?

Post by Helix Snake »

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I've been trying to find paper with which to fold Robert Lang's Cuckoo Clock, which requires a 1:7 piece of paper. I can't find where to get such paper, and I don't know whether to use wrapping paper (which I can't measure correctly to save my life), or find some kind of "origami paper on a roll" type thing. I can't find anything to fold it with that's big and thin enough. Any tips?