Independent model creations...

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
wolf
Forum Sensei

Independent model creations...

Post by wolf »

This is a spinoff of the other topic; I thought it might be interesting to list down a few of the most common designs that people come up with independently. Here's a few to start off:

1. Frog base X-Wing
Hey, this was the first thing I came up with too! It's probably one of those models that just pops out when doodling with the frog base.

2. Waterbomb base longhorn beetle
This is the model with book-fold symmetry, and the upper half of the square gets used for the two long antennae. Well, seriously, how many possible ways are there of getting two really long antennae?

3. Blintz bird base designs
Apart from the hercules beetle and octopus, there's also the four-legged-winged creature family (dragon, griffin, pegasus, etc).

Also, just because someone comes up with one or more of the above doesn't mean that the model is inherently bad/unworthy - what counts more is this: How has the designer gotten beyond the same basic model that everyone comes up with? What other small but significant details have been added to make the design stand out from the gadzillion other designs with the same base?
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

4. Sunken Bird base Dragon, a la Robert Neale.

It has a remarkable simplicity. Just take a bird base, sink the center point, and a couple mountain and reverse folds later you have a dragon with wings and four legs.

5. Montroll Fox/Dan Robinson Wolf/Mark Leonard Wolf/Jake Crowley Hyena/My cougar, etc.

It's the CP for the Wolf on Mark Leonard's page. Some very nice animals can be made from this base.
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

6. Kite Base Paper Airplane :)
platypusguy

Post by platypusguy »

7. the fish base bird (tucan, parrot, etc)
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

8. One fold triangle

Each time I think I have a new design,
I realize it's that common triangle ](*,)