Chinese modulars help please

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
thegman20

Chinese modulars help please

Post by thegman20 »

Hi. I'm new here and really like this forum so far. I'm kinda into chinese modular origami right now...

I need your help on what is the size of each modular? I mean the size of the little paper before it folds...

And what folding is better? :

http://dev.origami.com/diagram_load.cfm ... inunit.pdf

OR THIS?

http://www.opane.com/opane/swan.html (also good instructions)

Thanks!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

thegman20 wrote:what folding is better?
That depends on you. Try both and find out which one is easier for you, the finished result is nearly the same and after assembling nobody will see the difference.
thegman20 wrote:what is the size of each modular?
For the first one you need 1:2 rectangles, the second one can be made with rectangle sizes varying from 1:1,5 to 1:2.

I hope you have fun with it. Halfway I lost enthusiasm, so I have a half finished swan standing on my table waiting to be finished...
thegman20

Post by thegman20 »

Thanks very much for the reply!

Although, I dont understand what 1:2 means... is that 1 inch wide 2 inch long?

Sorry for my stupidity, its just I usually measure in centimeters...
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

It's a proportion, not an absolute measure. You can use centimetres or inches or feet or miles or yards. As long as the length of the rectangle is twice the width, then it will work. In terms of finding a workable size, you'll need to experiment. I think that inches would be better than centimetres, in this case. (So if you want to convert to centimetres, it would be approximately 5 cm by 2.5 cm.)
Friet

Post by Friet »

I used the instructions on opane.com for folding the swan.
I cut a bunch of a4 papers to get the paper. The long side in thirds and the short side in fourths. This way you get pieces of paper that are almost 2:1, (about 1,8:1 or 1,9:1) which is perfect for folding the triangles because it leaves a bit of room for error in the folding. And folding 500 triangles perfectly is rather difficult. The end result was about 30/40 cm high. You'll just have to find one of those paper cutting machines (like the ones they have in hobby stores) and cut a bunch of a4 papers at once. (50 is more then enough, and leaves you with extra papers in case you screw up)

[img]http://www.student.tue.nl/p/i.d.kogel/merijn/zwaan1.jpg[/img]

Oh and another tip, fold the triangles while watching tv, otherwise you'll want to smash your head into the wall after you've folded a hundred of the little bastards.
hunprat

Post by hunprat »

I use the opane modular unit, it is simpler. You can see my version of the swan in my photo album. The size of the paper I use for each unit is from a 8.5" by 11" paper which I divided both horizontally and vertically by 4. So one sheet of paper will give you 16 units.

I also use this modular units and some modified units to make modular vases that I put my roses in. It seem that modular vases are the only vases that are heavy enough to support the weight of the roses, so as to not tip over.

Phu
thegman20

Post by thegman20 »

Friet, after I do the first 5 rings, I dont get a stadium shape unless I squize
the model a bit, is that OK?
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

thegman20 wrote:...I dont get a stadium shape unless I squize
the model a bit, is that OK?
For these modular units, you'll have to squeeze and stretch the model a lot to get all the units in. They'll have a tendency to pop out, especially if you use the thicker module units, but don't forget you can always use glue. :P
hunprat

modular vase

Post by hunprat »

Here is a picture of my modular vase for my rose.

[img]http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1848/img24836jw.jpg[/img]
Friet

Post by Friet »

Ooohh, that vase looks really nice :) Good job!

@ thegman20: Yeah, squeezing is the only way to get the model into shape.