Styles of origami design

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
mattress67

Post by mattress67 »

Okay, okay. My apologies. It was the extra drink I had that night which pushed me over the edge to post such a message. However, I still am glad that I was able to vent a bit after seeing some “d20â€
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Lots of traditional and playground models are 3D too:

- waterbomb
- frog
- crane
- tortoise
- carp
- fox head puppet
- chinese junk
- cootie catcher
- most paper airplanes

The list goes on and on... :D
mattress67

Post by mattress67 »

Perhaps I am unable to convey my point. Absolutely, the models you mentioned are very much 3D, but they gain their depth from folding.

I simply think tissue foil allows a folder to mold the shape rather than fold it – and this doesn’t seem like origami to me.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

mattress67 wrote:I simply think tissue foil allows a folder to mold the shape rather than fold it.
This isn't unique to tissue foil - tissue foil is just a lot easier to mould and shape than other types of paper.

Dry, tension folding allows you to get curves and three dimensionality, but this has to be worked into the model design beforehand.

Wet/MC-folding is another standard method for moulding; it's not just limited to heavier weight papers (traditionally done for animals), but also to extremely thin, backcoated papers (for insects and other complex, many-legged things). It takes a lot longer, because often you can't finish all the wetfolding at once, instead you'll have to focus on one spot, wetfold and let it dry, before moving on to the next part of the model to sculpt. Heat lamps, hair dryers and microwave ovens make the drying process a lot less frustrating. :D
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

But make sure there aren't those little metal flecks if you do stick it in the microwave... :D
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

Kind of on topic:
Does anyone know what happened to Herman van Goubergen? His models were unusual in that he didn't stick to any one style; each of his designs explored a different idea or technique. The last items that I'm aware of him creating were his tension modulars from 2000. Has he given up origami since then?
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

I saw him in Salzburg. He says he hasn't folded much lately, but he didn't say why.