Origami lamps

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
annga

Origami lamps

Post by annga »

hi everybody ,

I've been desperately looking for information about origami lamps like those presented on this French website http://www.origami.fr/boutique.html
I'm just astonished by those lamps .
If anybody could give me at least the title of some book focused on the conception of this kind of lamps, that would be of great help for me. So far, I 've got no result . Even the shopkeeper 's answer was expected but discouraging , 'self-taught'.

Well , thanks a lot for your help
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Well, he's probably right. As far as I know, there's no origami book at the moment that focuses exclusively on three dimensional pleated forms, so you've got to experiment on your own.

David Petty's Pinecone and Pineapple come closest to these forms, so you might want to use those as a starting point for further exploration:

http://members.aol.com/ukpetd/

(Under Diagrams -> DP pleated work)
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Considering he's trying to make some money by selling these, I don't see why he would be inclined to tell anyone else how to make them.

I did note with some chagrin that he's using a photo of my orange dragon to advertise his custom origami design services... :x
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Ask him to make one for you, Joe :)
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

As an aside: the box-pleated pattern in one of those lamps is the same as the design of a new medical device that appeared in the news recently - an expandable tube used for holding open veins. I can't find a link, unfortunately.
saj

Post by saj »

I believe there were a couple of crease patterns for a lamp design in Eric Kenneway's Complete Origami.
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Christian and I have made an instruction for making on of these lamps (Thank you Christian!). You can download it here.
:D

Most of the lamps on this site are made of the same principle, so you can try out for your own how the other lamps are made.