The forum or the Mailing List

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...

Which do you prefer/ use more

The origami forum
92%
The origami Mailing List
8%

Total votes: 12

T

The forum or the Mailing List

Post by T »

Hi,

I have noticed how there are two major online contact ways for origami.
THe most common two ways are probably this forum and the Origami mailing list.

What I was wondering is which people prefer. I know both have there benefits and are quite different which makes them hard to compare. But, I was wondering whether the overall consensus of which one is [i]better[/i].

So I decided to create a poll. I know lots of people use both (I do ) which might make it hard to decide but I was just wondering for an overall opinion.

I voted for the forum because it is so much easier to use and organise also I found the topics are a bit more ocused sometimes.
hunprat

Post by hunprat »

Your poll will be bias since you are doing it on the forum to compare the forum to the mailing list. You will need to also do the poll on the mailing list and combine the results to eliminate or counter balance the bias.

That said, I also use the mailing list, but prefer to respond to the forum then the mailing list. So I prefer the forum.

Phu
malachi

Post by malachi »

I was going to mention that bias, but you beat me to it.

Once upon a time, I subscribed to the list, but I haven't in a very long time. A forum like this is much easier for me to deal with because I can deal with it on my own terms and threads are easily distinguished from each other. I am sure, however, that there are people that use the list and not the forum because it provides them with a different set of advantages.

If you really want meaningful results, the options should include list membership (current, past, none) as well as preference, and a similar poll should be administed to the list. However, I don't know what your goal is, so I don't know if it would be worth all that effort.
T

Post by T »

Yeah I guess this could be a bit bias however its not really menat to be the most accurate poll.

PS. Although I am subscribed I do not post on the mailing list so if anyone wants to make this topic on the mailing list feel free to, but I have no intention of doing so any time soon.

Thanks very much
T
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

just a few thoughts:

I would say, it doesn't make any difference, where you ask your question. there is a number of listening and a much fewer number of active people in either group. but I think, it was a very bad idea for the origami-mailinglist, to force a confirm email for every email.
in my opinion, this forum is a nice and quick possibility to get answers from experienced folders. we have so many friendly and (even more important) competent folders.
another point is the fact, that folders, that are joining an online board, are probably using the internet more than the average folder. I mean, many folders check their emails only once per week, what could mean, that an answering email could take two weeks to arive. if you choose to be a member of an online forum, you will check it often to see new entries. maybe that's another point for the forum.
a point for the mailing list is, that it's easier to use. you don't have to open your browser, just your email client. with all the emails you got, you also get your origami emails, and can answer them. all internet users can use their email client but not necessarily all of them can also use an online forum.

I would say, it's the best way to ask in both, the forum and the mailinglist :D

Christian
Friet

Post by Friet »

I signed off from the mailing list a while ago because I don't enjoy getting 10 emails every day. I'd rather have them grouped in threads, so I can read the topics that interest me.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Friet wrote:I signed off from the mailing list a while ago because I don't enjoy getting 10 emails every day. I'd rather have them grouped in threads, so I can read the topics that interest me.
For the most part a gmail account accomplishes this.
Friet

Post by Friet »

I did use my gmail account for the o-list, but I still didn't like it.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

TheRealChris wrote:I think, it was a very bad idea for the origami-mailinglist, to force a confirm email for every email.
Until you've had to deal with people actively trying to disrupt this forum, Christian, I don't think you're in any position comment on this. Do you know how easy it is to fake an email coming from someone?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I totally disagree with you Joseph. Anyone is allowed to tell his meaning on this forum independent of what position he has on either the mailing-list or this forum.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

Do you know how easy it is to fake an email coming from someone?
I know it, Mr. Wu, surely better than you! but that's not the point. the point is, that you slow down an already slow system. I discarded most of my replies to the mailinglist, when I got that confirmation email on the next day. and nowadays I don't write anymore to the list. and I really wonder, how many of the list members thinking that way. and remember: I check my emails sometimes twice a day. what's with the people, that don't check their email accounts that often?

I signed off from the mailing list a while ago because I don't enjoy getting 10 emails every day. I'd rather have them grouped in threads, so I can read the topics that interest me.
there's the possibility to get an single email instead of multiple ones. I don't know how to do this, but there's the chance to get e.g. a weekly email. maybe somebody here can tell him how?

Christian
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Joseph Wu wrote:Do you know how easy it is to fake an email coming from someone?
Also on this forum you can affect to be someone else. If I would want to I could also register as Josef Wu and nobody without you and me would know that it is only a fake.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

origami_8 wrote:I totally disagree with you Joseph. Anyone is allowed to tell his meaning on this forum independent of what position he has on either the mailing-list or this forum.
I think you misunderstood me, Anna. Christian is complaining about the fact that posting on the mailing list requires you to confirm your posting by return email. I set that up after a VERY nasty attack on the list which included email spoofing (the attacker faked emails from other subscribers to the list). Until Christian has experience with that sort of thing, I think is opinion that the confirm emails are a "very bad idea" is misguided at best.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Joseph Wu wrote:I think you misunderstood me, Anna.
Maybe.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Whatever you like, Anna. The confirm emails are the only tool I have for preventing spoofing on the mailing list. I notice you dislike the spam that appears here on the forum from time to time (not to mention the requests for copyrighted diagrams). Well, the confirm emails help to control that on the list. It also helps to control the homophobic diatribes, the personal attacks, and the emails full of nothing but swearing. Unless, of course, you think that "Anyone is allowed to tell his meaning on this forum" means that all of that stuff is okay?

In short, I was just responding to Christian's comment. I don't care whether people think the list or the forum is better. They're different, and they meet different needs. Use whichever one you like, or use both (like I do). Trying to decide that one is better than the other is like trying to decide if apples are better than oranges...it's a matter of personal taste.