how did you start origami?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Sushy

Post by Sushy »

I started Origami because my brother showed me the swan made in Prison Break. I was astonished of it and folded one myself. After having found so many impressive Origami figures on Youtube I was searching the Internet for more models. This is how my story began...
Harpseal
Buddha

Re: how did you start origami?

Post by Harpseal »

My freind started origami, he gave me directions to this:http://www.origami-instructions.com/ website, and I made my first piece of origami:http://www.origami-instructions.com/ori ... -lion.html. My freind said he couldn't do it (he was only a beginner then) but i had done a waterbomb in the "Dangerous book for boys" and a paper hat and i had an origami dinosaur book that i had never used and i had done lots of paper planes when i was little, so i started origami, and progressed at the same speed as my freind who inspired me to do it in the first place.
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Back in 5th grade, my art teacher had a unit on origami. That was it. One class. We larned the basic models--jumping frog, waterbomb, Masu (cut), and Sonobe units. I remember loving the Sonobe models--something in thier ease appealed to me--and so I began to look for more models on the internet. Soon I began designing my own models. That was 3 years ago.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
camicazi

Post by camicazi »

searched for paperplanes, found snkhan. Was about 8 years old
TvVtje

Post by TvVtje »

I started folding planes when i was in school. After that i didnt fold anything for a while. And i saw a video by tadashimori and i started again. I did really enjoy it, so I bought a few books (for €200,- i think) i tried alot of models but in every model i got stuck at some point, untill i got really depressed by it and now i barely fold anything. Leaving the books as good as new in a box.
The books suck big time.

TvVtje.
topsu

Post by topsu »

TvVtje wrote:I started folding planes when i was in school. After that i didnt fold anything for a while. And i saw a video by tadashimori and i started again. I did really enjoy it, so I bought a few books (for €200,- i think) i tried alot of models but in every model i got stuck at some point, untill i got really depressed by it and now i barely fold anything. Leaving the books as good as new in a box.
The books suck big time.

TvVtje.
Oh everyone gets stuck at models in the beginning! just try to look for the specific folds and terms to get to know all the folds and try getting nice, large paper. Those books won't be crap once you try the models several times. I could advice you to move to a simpler scale but it's not always necessary because by actually overcoming obstacles you make your skills better than by just folding stuff you're currently able to do.
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

Tadashi mori is very good....
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
TvVtje

Post by TvVtje »

topsu wrote:
TvVtje wrote:I started folding planes when i was in school. After that i didnt fold anything for a while. And i saw a video by tadashimori and i started again. I did really enjoy it, so I bought a few books (for €200,- i think) i tried alot of models but in every model i got stuck at some point, untill i got really depressed by it and now i barely fold anything. Leaving the books as good as new in a box.
The books suck big time.

TvVtje.
Oh everyone gets stuck at models in the beginning! just try to look for the specific folds and terms to get to know all the folds and try getting nice, large paper. Those books won't be crap once you try the models several times. I could advice you to move to a simpler scale but it's not always necessary because by actually overcoming obstacles you make your skills better than by just folding stuff you're currently able to do.
Thanks for the tips, I think Im going to give it another shot in a few days from now. So thanks again for the peptalk. :D
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

Go for 2d models first, then try bases, then 3d, then irregular bases, then cps. (that's what I did)
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
Beleg Cúthalion

Post by Beleg Cúthalion »

I started folding paper planes and then I saw one of Jo Nakashima's videos and I was like "this is so amazing". After a while seeing videos of Jo Nakashima, Tadashi Mori and Sara Adams I decided to star folding from diagrams (in that time it was a huge step for me) and then I discovered this forum and also I discovered the CP's, the first reaction was "wtf is this" but at the end I learned how to fold models from CP's (the first one was the Brian Chan's Dobsonfly) and now I'm trying to fold more models from CP's (I'm currently on the six).
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

I'm on the 4th. I've only been origaming for just over a year.
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
Beleg Cúthalion

Post by Beleg Cúthalion »

I think I've doing origami for a year an a half. But the CP's that I do are easy, I think the hardest was Brian Chan's Hermit Crab 1.1
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Re:

Post by GWB origami »

Origamiboy97 wrote:My first origami book was The Joy of Origami by Margaret van Sicklen.
my first book was joy of origami too! :D
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

My first book was by the late David Petty. I didn't use it much, then i started origami via the routes mentioned above, now i use the book a lot, when soon it became accompnied by a book by Robert Lang, which is also used a fair amount now.
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
Romie Halabaso

Post by Romie Halabaso »

As far as I can remember, I started origami before 7, folding the familiar models- sailboat and hat from newspaper, and airplane. These were all folded from rectangle, not square paper. The one that really got me hooked on origami was the flapping bird which my mom taught me.
Folding and unfolding, the universe is origami.