What exactly is 'tissue paper' ?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
esato

Post by esato »

I am Brazilian and I don´t know exactly what tissue paper is. I do know it is a very thin kind of paper. Here in Brazil there is a kind of paper called 'papel de seda' which could be translated to 'silk paper'. I wonder if this 'silk paper' is the same as American 'tissue paper'. It is very thin, if you lay it over another sheet with something written on it you can read what is underneath.

I´m asking this because I have made myself some tissue foil made from 'silk paper' and they did not end very thin.

In what kind of store can you find tissue paper? What is it really meant for? I know some people use parchment paper for origami, but it is really meant to be used for cooking.

Thanks in advance!
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

There was some information on tissue paper on the thread called "what have you folded lately", but that topic is over 22 pages long and there is (or at least I could not find it) a feature that allows you to search inside a specific topic so I couldn't guess where it exactly was.

But you are right on your assumption, tissue paper is what in South America is called Papel de seda.

If the tissue foil you made was too thick, might be because of several things:

1. Use thin foil. Usually known brands are thicker. Buy the cheapest one (owm supermarket brands will do fine)

2. The glue you used was too thick. If you are using "white all purpose glue" you have to water it. 1 part glue 2 1/2 parts water

Hope that helps
esato

Post by esato »

Brimstone wrote: But you are right on your assumption, tissue paper is what in South America is called Papel de seda.
Cool !! I´m in relief, because I bought a pack with dozens of 'papel de seda'.
Brimstone wrote: 2. The glue you used was too thick. If you are using "white all purpose glue" you have to water it. 1 part glue 2 1/2 parts water

Hope that helps
I used adhesive spray. I think I sprayed too much of it, after it dried some wrinkles appeared even though the sheet was pretty much wrinkle-free before.

If i use "white all purpose glue" with water, how can I apply it to the aluminum foil? Shall I use a bush?
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Exactly, you use a brush. The "Papel de Seda" will wrinkle anyway. There are several things you can do:

1. Roll the tissue on a tube and then apply the tissue over the glued foil with the tube. I haven't done it but people say it works.

or 2. Make a ball with the tissue so it gets a lot of wrinles. Sometimes you achieve nice texture paper this way.

You have to have in mind that the water in the glue is going to make some of your color to run. Again sometimes very nice results are obtained this way
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

A third method is to get someone to help you. You can get the smoothest results this way. Each of you take 2 corners of the tissue. Have the other person hold the tissue about an inch above the foil. Then you can put your 2 corners down, and smooth the tissue down onto the foil with your hands or with a brush. Have the other person pull gently on the opposite corners to maintain the paper's tension so that wrinkles cannot form.
Friet

Post by Friet »

Or you could buy a pet monkey to do it for you!