World Origami Day 24 October 2005

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Dave Brill

World Origami Day 24 October 2005

Post by Dave Brill »

You may have heard about World Origami Day, 24 October 2005.

Jan Polish (Origami USA) has asked me to forward these messages telling everything you need to know! See the information about the new web site which carries lots of information and suggestions.

Do get involved with this excellent intitiative to spread origami everywhere, at least throughout your world!

Yours

Brilly

=====

World Origami Day, October 24th 2005

Origami has the reputation as an activity for children, or an "elite" art, somehow inaccessible to the lay person. This is a perception we need to change. We want to bring people into the origami community. We want to show them that origami is fun for everyone. Origami is a craft that can be mastered by people of all ages, all skills, all educational levels, and with little money. On another level, it's an art that can be appreciated by everyone.

Let's bring origami to the streets. Let's increase awareness through a grass-roots effort, sharing our love of the magic that can be created from a single sheet of paper.

October 24th will be World Origami Day. Expose people to origami, one by one, room by room, and group by group. Fold on the train, fold in your office, fold on a park bench, fold in Starbuck's or a bookstore. Teach a class in your local school, senior center or church. Bring models to work, leave models in the supermarket, set-up an exhibit at the library.

October 24th is the birthday of Lillian Oppenheimer, founder of OrigamiUSA and the British Origami Society, and the woman who did the most to popularize origami around the world.

We're establishing a website dedicated to International Origami Day where we'll have diagrams that can be downloaded, samples of press releases and flyers that you can customize, and information about locations of events around the world. This is not an OrigamiUSA event. We're kicking it off and will coordinate as necessary this year. But we hope that groups around the world will join together on this day, and make an International Origami Day happen, this year and every year.

There isn't much time to make this happen in 2005, but with lots of help, we can do it, and set the foundation for 2006 and after. Please pass this information on to all your origami contacts, and let us know if there are others we should add to our mailing list. We will keep you posted regarding the website and other progress. What do you think? Will it work in your country? How can we help? How can you help?

Join us! Together, we can spread the joy of paperfolding around the world.

Regards,

Jan Polish
OrigamiUSA

======

Hi folks,

Please check the World Origami Day webpage to see updates.

http://www.worldorigamiday.org/

If you have anything you'd like to add to the webpage (events, ideas, links to diagrams, translations of items into other languages, etc.) please send it to

wod@origami-usa.org

We'd welcome comments and suggestions.

Regards,

Jan Polish
OrigamiUSA
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

So did anyone do anything for this? My own very small scale action was to teach Rikki Donachie's Happy Goblin (a low intermediate model from the Spring 2003 BOS convention book) to the players in my Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay campaign.
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

I taught some origami around college and folded a few halloween models, nothing too grand. On Illutia, a 2-d MMORPG I play, the Game Masters made me my own item of an origami crane and gave me 1,000 of them.