Tissue foil paper edges

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
mastermattdude

Tissue foil paper edges

Post by mastermattdude »

I am going to make a large peice of tissue foil for kamiya's dragon and I am using 4 peices of tissue paper. I overlap the pieces of tissue paper and when I use more than one peice of tissue paper , the edge of the tissue paper that overlaps the other peice is always not stuck to the other piece of tissue paper because there is no spray adhesive. I doubt if anybody understands this but the whole point is: Can you use spray adhesive on tissue paper and then put the foil on top of the tissue? Or does it only work if you spray the foil and then put the tissue on? If nobody understands this I will make a picture. :?:
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

It should work either way. As usual, practice makes perfect.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

It can be done both ways, but spraying the adhesive on the tissue can lead to a sticky mess quite quickly. The problem is that the adhesive will bleed through the tissue onto whatever you have underneath (newspaper, I would guess), so when you pull off the finished foil, it might have bits of other stuff sticking on it.

On the other hand, you can use this bleedthough to solve your other problem. Just glue the tissue onto the foil on normally, and then brush on a layer of MC/PVA/white glue onto the overlapping parts. This should cause the overlapping sheet of tissue to stick to the layer below (which is already stuck onto the foil).

Only a small amount of glue is needed for this, so you might want to dilute the PVA glue with some water, and then lightly brush it on. It dries clear, so it doesn't really affect the appearance of the foil too badly.
esato

Post by esato »

I am curious, as tissue paper usually comes in large sizes. How large are we talking about ?
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

I've used stuff as large as 22 x 25 inches. At this size, it's usually the foil that's the limitation rather than the paper.

Since Thanksgiving is coming up in the US soon, it means that the larger foil sizes will soon be available. Those are usually horrendously thick however, so sometimes you're better off sticking smaller pieces of thinner foil together to form larger sheets.
mastermattdude

Post by mastermattdude »

Thank you all I have already made the paper. Wolf , you are right , it did bleed through and make "a sticky mess" but it turned out just fine in the end .
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

I would use a glue stick on the edges that need it.