Shell

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
stuckie27

Shell

Post by stuckie27 »

Any body know how to fold the shell in OFTC with just one opening

This one has four, but I want just one :!:

[img]Http://themountainfold.com/Gallery/Othe ... /shell.gif[/img]
Nesting Crane

Post by Nesting Crane »

I just got the book yesterday, and I have the same problem. I have found the answer to that question here

Unfortunately, the additional book is written in another language, which I can not speak nor understand. It is not available in the USA as far as I can tell. Have you found an alternative solution to this problem? :-k
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

It's also in KASAHARA Kunihiko's book, Origami: El Mundo Nuevo. Of course, this book is long out of print... :cry:
Nesting Crane

Post by Nesting Crane »

Well, I have looked all over the internet. I even went to places were I can get origami books that are not even translated into english. Still, I did not find Spirals by Tomoko Fuse anywere. I guess it is out of print. I even went to places were they had out of print book. Yes, you guessed corretly, they didn't have it.

I guess I am just out of luck. I had hoped to find somebody who might know how to do this, or at the very least, found somebody that figured out how to do this on their own. Naturally, the only people who I found on the internet who knew how to fold that shell, also had Spirals by Tomoko Fuse in their collection of origami books.

Obviously, this is a diagram that I am just not going to be able to learn.[img]http://www.countingcows.de/aerger.gif[/img]
malachi

Post by malachi »

I have been looking for that book for quite some time now without any luck at all. *sigh*
Nesting Crane

Post by Nesting Crane »

In the link I provided the person explains what kind of fold that is. So, I guess you could always figure out how that fold is done. However, I think you would have to be highly advanced in this art, knowing all the techniques by memory, and how they all would or would not interconncet.

I have a LONG way to go before I fit that description.[img]http://www.countingcows.de/aerger.gif[/img]
dani luddington

Post by dani luddington »

a little known secret is that at Kims Cranes, sometimes she has a copy or two of a book and since she doesnt have a lot of them, i guess she doesnt keep them up on line. but email and ask its worth a try. i got a book that way once. i will read back over the thread and see if i can look at my copy and help. sincerely, dani
dani luddington

i have looked at both books and there is no way i can begin to explain how to make the shell with one opening, i am sorry.
but..... kinokuniya's in S.F.(japanese bookstore, huge origami section) looks like they have a copy in stock. but it is under japanese books and when it comes up it is still in japanese. so if you would like to purchase it i think you will have to email them and tell them in english. as i dont even know how to begin to translate the language or the price tag.
the isbn is 4480872027.
Nesting Crane

Post by Nesting Crane »

Dani,
i have looked at both books and there is no way i can begin to explain how to make the shell with one opening, i am sorry.
Do you mean that the diagrams alone are not self explanatory? If that is the case then it is a lost cause for me. I have a difficult enough time working in english.

I have found people on the internet that do know how to fold this shell, however, they are not talking, and the people who are, simply say, "Oh, gee. You don't have the book? That is too bad."
dani luddington

oh i am not saying the diagrams arent easy enough to follow, just not sure my brain can explain the differences between the two or even allllll the steps of one. i think you can get thru it fine. its my explaining i dont think i can accomplish. i have folded alone most of my folding days and i have never really learned proper names for all the folds. i know that sounds bad and i should know them, but that isnt were i get my joy from origami. its more the meditative relaxing mode i can go into. (smiles) dani