Making Tissue Foil Paper

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
esato

Post by esato »

I always get some wrinkles because of the aluminum foil. The problem is that every sheet of foil I buy is not perfecly smooth, when I unroll it some parts here and there have some small imperfections - wrinkles. Is there any solution for that?
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

my foil is almost never smooth when i get it.
Taking care to constantly smooth the paper after its made and during the folding can make a difference.
Smoothing out every crease you don't need and being very careful with how you handle the paper so not to add wrinkles by mistake.
This is the main reason it takes me hours to fold a model.
If I'm successful I will sometimes use a few more hours trying to smooth out the paper in the finished model.
If the tissue is strong and you are delicate the foil can have overlapping crinkles in the middle and still be smoothed out well enough when starting to not be noticable while folding.
Just make sure you take your time, if you make a crease make sure to smooth out any creases that splinter off it one crease at a time. i think i said this somewhere else here, not sure if that helps.

ps, some scrap magazine paper works well for the initial smoothing
himanshu

Post by himanshu »

The supplier is here in India. If you think it will be feasible for you to get it shipped from here, let me know and I will give you the details.

But what is your opinion about the thickness of the foil?
himanshu

downloadable videos

Post by himanshu »

The videos uploaded by Phil and Thedeadsmellbad are very informative and helpful. Could you please upload these videos where they can be downloaded...like on Rapidshare.

Here our Internet service is very limited, so viewing them on YouTube everytime is very difficult. :?

Himanshu.
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

I would be interested in the details, I havent had much luck finding anything over 18 inches.

For anyone that wants to download the videos from youtube, use this website. Just paste the youtube address, click the button and it does the rest.

As for the thickness in microns, I have no idea. But I would think a measurement of strength would be important also. If it is too thin it will probably crack.
Laughing Buddha

Post by Laughing Buddha »

"spray adhesive"
where can one get this thing?

because I even don't know how to translate it...
The CIA is trying to kill me...
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Spray adhesive is basically glue in a spray can. You should get it in "home improvement stores" (not sure about that word, the place where you get everything for fixing your house, i.e paint, cement, tilings etc.) or in craft and stationery stores.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Laughing Buddha

Post by Laughing Buddha »

I'll try to seek in our so-called shops for builders , while we have no home improvment one :)
The CIA is trying to kill me...
imisty

Post by imisty »

I want to try "making" tissue foil paper however I want to use spray glue (I know we can dilute white glue and stuff but I have my reasons for not doing it that way!).
When I went to buy the glue, i just stood there; there was no indication on what materials the glue would, or would not, adhere! Can someone give me a clue of what spray glue you use, or what says in the label?
Thank you ;)
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Good brands are:

Tesa
Knorr prandell
Uhu

Really really bad is Pattex, don´t, I repeat don´t buy this stuff!

You should look out for permanent glue, there are also replaceable ones available, these aren´t what you want.
Last edited by origami_8 on February 5th, 2008, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imisty

Post by imisty »

Thanks! Then I'll buy uhu since I know it and have worked with it before. Thank god I didn't buy anything because if so it would have been pattex! Thank you once again ;)
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Cool videos i will definatly be trying to make some my self and see how it go's thanks for shairing the videos. :wink:

Kind regards
Steve
OrigamiGianluca

Post by OrigamiGianluca »

I do it exactly in the reverse way.

I lay a sheet of tissue paper on a plain and clean carton (no newspaper pacthwork). Then I spray a layer of glue (single pass, very little quantity). Then I apply foil.
They stick together immediately since the glue is really well assorbed by the paper.
Then I take out the sandwich and with a very soft work I stretching every wrinkles.
After less than 10 minutes tissue foil is ready to be cut and used.

I use bison spray glue, and common kitchen foil (I prefer low quality kitchen foil because it is thinner)

Thanks anyway for sharing.
I've learnt the use of the tube :wink:
www.origamigianluca.com --> Fold with me...

Looking for some diagramming tips? Click HERE!
insaneorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by insaneorigami »

I use Krylon spray adhesive, and I too genreally use a thin foil to make it :D. I do not, however, use thin foil for making large sheets of tissue foil because I can not find large, thin rolls of alluminum foil (only medium-lightweight). For the smoothing, I use my index, middle, and ring fingernails, and brush them across the foil while applying a meduim pressure. This will eliminate all wrinkles (well, most) and I do this after the tissue paper is put on, not before the adhesive goes down (because then you will have to smooth it twice :shock:)
OrigamiGianluca

Post by OrigamiGianluca »

I can't find too any large rolls of foil, and actually I use two or more stripes to completely cover the paper sheet.
www.origamigianluca.com --> Fold with me...

Looking for some diagramming tips? Click HERE!