Making Tissue Foil Paper

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Nok

Post by Nok »

I used to use spray glue before i found excellent way to make tissue foil: first take some thin foil and spread some wallpaper paste on it, then put the tissue paper on the foli and finally spread some more wallpaper paste on tissue paper that is putted on the foil. It works much better than my spray glue and its cheapper.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I think you should read this whole topic. :roll:
Falcifer

Post by Falcifer »

I'm back after making some more sheets.

The most recent couple of sheets are much better than the first few.
I think I was using a little too much glue, which was making the tissue too wet. I don't know if it's just this tissue, or all tissue, but it shrinks a little when wet, and because the sheets of tissue paper are wider than the roll of foil, the edges stay dry and tend to make it harder to keep the tissue smooth. I've started applying glue further away from the edges of the foil (directly on the mirror/glass) so that all of the tissue can be wetted. Then, after doing both sides and before I let it dry, I trim off the excess tissue. There were still some small wrinkles all over, but most of them worked themselves out during the drying process.

I also bought a rotary cutter, because I saw one while I was shopping for something else, but I'm not too happy with it yet. I think I'm too used to the regular craft knife, but when I use the rotary cutter, I find it hard to keep the blade against the straight edge (ruler).

Still, I'm pretty happy with my recent attempts, and I think that with more practice, it'll be better. So thanks to everyone who offered advice.
I'm still not going to be completely happy until my tissue-foil looks as good as yours, though, Anna! ;-)

You can see Brian Chan's crow folded with some of my tissue-foil here. It's not one of the most recent sheets, though.
cyitoh

Post by cyitoh »

What are some types of foil do you guys recommend for tissue foil? (that I can get in the US)
shortloldude

Post by shortloldude »

I buy my aluminum foil at a local dollar store, it is 45cm wide, called Ultra Foil and claims to be heavy duty, but it is thinner than brand name foil and works fine for me. Also the $1 price tag is nice :D
Please, add me on flickr and tell me what you think!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53465278@N02/
easysid

Re:

Post by easysid »

it may not be relevant anymore, but I'd like to mention that the general foil thickness for kitchen foil is 11 microns. Beware of the 'extra thick' variants of 18 microns. ( Saw some queries in previous pages regarding this).