Which do you like better: Simple or complex models?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Android raptor

Which do you like better: Simple or complex models?

Post by Android raptor »

For me, I don't know which I like better. You will certainly get more praise if you fold a complex model, and they are certainly more realistic. But simple models are quicker, and can give much enjoyment. Anyway, comments?
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

i think it depends on what you're doing. if you're folding then i'd say u get mpre enjoyment out of completing a complex fold, but if it comes to designing models... well then the obvious aim is to make a model that is efficient. makes the best use of the paper, and simplicity is part of that i think. for instance, the fujimoto cube... very simple, pretty easy to fold, bloody amazing design. if i ever met fujimoto i'd shake his/her hand and congratulate him/her on an amazing mind
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Funny, my current view is just the opposite... :D

Then again, it's pretty much a mood-depending thing for me, so every few months I'll swing from one end to the other.
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

complex
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

hard to say really...
Most of my own designs are very simple to fold and some of them look really amazing (of course I think so... I designed them :roll: ).
I'm always fascinated with simple models that look great despite or maybe because of their simplicity.
On the other hand spending several hours on folding a more complex model can be very relaxing and I'm really satisfied when I finish them (for the few which I was able to complete.... )

well, to sum it all up.... I just love Origami :)

So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Friet

Post by Friet »

I mainly fold complex things, although it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate simple models. I'm just a very patient person, so I don't mind spending more than 10 hours on one model. I do fold simple things, but mainly when I'm traveling by train, or in college.
caysao1

Post by caysao1 »

simple model can display with other simple model---->create the picture of nature

complex model can only display alone, because if put in the big picture, the complexity doesn't exist

i love simple models.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

bacaysao wrote:complex model can only display alone, because if put in the big picture, the complexity doesn't exist
I disagree with you in that point. Putting complex models together in a display can create an even more realistic picture and is looking simply great.

There are fantastic origami models out there and I really can´t choose which one I like better, simple or complex, I think it depends on the model itself. I´ve seen very complex models looking very poor and others looking as stunning as Eileen Tan´s Drider and Centaur. But also very simple models can have their own charme, so one of my all time favorites is a very simple "flapping" butterfly, but I also now simple models that I really don´t like.
caysao1

Post by caysao1 »

Putting complex models together in a display can create an even more realistic picture and is looking simply great
but in this "realistic picture" people don't care much about the feathers on a bird, or clear define wings of a dragonfly, they only see how models locate and interact to each other. So the complexity doesn't exist. If they want to see details they will come closer, and then that model is the only they care, the rest of the picture is gone.

so i belive there is no reason to put a complex model in to a big picture
complex model can only display alone
may be i need to change the word "can" to "should".

hope we have a similar definition for complex and simple models.
malachi

Post by malachi »

bacaysao wrote:
Putting complex models together in a display can create an even more realistic picture and is looking simply great
but in this "realistic picture" people don't care much about the feathers on a bird, or clear define wings of a dragonfly, they only see how models locate and interact to each other. So the complexity doesn't exist. If they want to see details they will come closer, and then that model is the only they care, the rest of the picture is gone.

so i belive there is no reason to put a complex model in to a big picture
I disagree. The reason is level of detail scaling.

I agree with you in the assertion that if you create a large scene with origami that has a lot of detail, the viewer will ignore some of that detail when they view the entire thing, but using complex models lets the viewer "zoom" in and see the models as individual pieces in addition to being part of a larger display. I believe there is some value in doing that.
malachi

Post by malachi »

Oh, and on the general topic of simple and complex models, I enjoy complex models, but I also like elegant models, which are often simple.
platypusguy

Post by platypusguy »

Well, most of the models i fold are quite complex(Kamiya's stuff, etc) but i do respect a good simple model. Most of my personal creations are also getting to that complex level, just designed a pheonix esqe bird from a game called shadow of the colusus, but then again i still make up little simple models and a respect them just as much as i would a very complex model