Copyright issue revisited

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
llprice

Copyright issue revisited

Post by llprice »

Greetings,

I have helped with a kids craft event at a public library for a few years now and have added some origami to the program. The parents often ask for copies of our instructions. We were thinking of publishing a little booklet for them for a small fee. Here's my problem, I don't know if the designs I've made are copyrighted. My favorite, the traditional crane, is too complex for this activity, so I've written instructions for a few very simple models that I learned over 30 years ago. I have no idea if the models are public domain, or who invented them. Most are not in any book I can find, let alone the several I own. One is from a Crown series published in the 60's -- no author or artists listed.
I made up a couple of very simple models myself, but they are so simple, someone has surely "invented" them before me. I would be glad to give credit if I could identify the creators. Where can I write, or get more information or track down the developers of these models?

L.L.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Maybe you could post some pictures of the finished models here on the forum, so if anyone knows the models he could write back.

And by the way welcome to the Forum Image
llprice

Thanks for the welcome

Post by llprice »

Thanks for the welcome Anna,

I've uploaded a quick snapshot of the models at
http://www.citlink.net/~llprice/ornaments.jpg

I learned how to fold the one on the left when I was a kid myself, I have no idea where I found it. Maybe it came with papers, or maybe another child showed it to me. Sorry the photo isn't better. It's essentially a puffed bird base.
The tree is simply an circle accordian folded from the edge to the center; quick and easy. I'll use glue on both for the kids crafts, but I suppose the tree would stand without, if the kids could/would make sharp enough creases.

L.L.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I think you shouldn´t get any problems when publishing diagrams for this models. The tree is so easy that everyone could get it by itself just by playing around with scissors (Urgh!), and the other model doesn´t look copyright protected to me either.
llprice

More models

Post by llprice »

Hello Anna,

Thank you for the reply. I know cutting is not the best in origami, but its a pragmatic consession we make due to the age of the children and the time constraints. Most of the kids are eight or younger, so we look for quick, simple projects. Any other suggestions would be most welcome. We do have a few pre-teens and even a teen or two who come -- usually because a younger sibling is there. We like to offer a few more challenging projects for them. I'd like to include a fish (below) and a simple medallion from a blintz base, in our instructions folder or booklet. Are they traditional, or do I need to contact someone before we can use them?

Fish -- http://www.citlink.net/~llprice/fish.jpg
Medalian-- http://www.citlink.net/~llprice/blintz.jpg

For the easily bored teens, I set them up with a modular puzzle. We give them squares and get them started on something like the modular piece from_3-D Geometric Origami_ by Rona Gurkewitz (right, in the photo), or a pinwheel modular from books by Tomoko Fuse or Kunihiko Kasahara. I wouldn't want to use these, as the booklet would be for moms of the younger set. If the older kids are interested, we point them to the origami books.

Again, thanks for you help,
L.L.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

A very good source for traditional models is David Pettys site. His model of the month section is a growing library of this kind of models.
And for the fish, it is traditional.
Another good source when folding with children is this site: http://www.origami-club.com/
I´ve made the experience, that children are often folding more precisely than adult people and a lot more enthusiastic. Especially good things to fold with children are action models.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Another good one to try would be the Sonobe unit; it's an extremely flexible unit in that many many possible geometrical models (and variations) can be constructed from them. We've taught these to kids, teenagers and adults; all of them had great fun with it.

Here one of the many pages on this unit:
http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/a ... _unit.html
elf

Post by elf »

WARNING!! THIS LINK CONTAINS MATERIAL THAT MAY BE OBJECTIONABLE TO SOME READERS!

There's cutting involved; however, this is "kirigami," not "origami."

That being said, the following is a link to the Yasutomo site's Kirigami Christmas tree. It's a fairly easy model that is quite forgiving of inexact folds. The only thing to be careful on is that last cut to make the star (I've snipped off the tops of more than a few trees-- :oops:). Also, I'm too cheap to buy origami paper, so if I need something special for a model, I print my own paper--in this case, green marble or pine needles on one side and gold or yellow on the other. Enough babbling--here you go:

http://www.yasutomo.com/project/tree.htm
llprice

RE: Copyright issue revisited

Post by llprice »

Thank you for the suggestions.

I am not a competitive paper folder, but I have enjoyed origami (yes, and kirikomi) for years. I have found this little pleasure quite practical at times as well.

I think origami is great for kids. It helps them develop fine motor skills, math and geometry skills, problem solving skills, patience and perserverence, even listening skills -- and it's fun!

The list of traditional projects at Dave's emporium is terrific. The sonobe options will be useful for those teens. The star on that little tree is just way too clever, and I'm still browsing through the material.

I can't thank you all enough for your replies.

L .L.
llprice

A thanks tip -- traditionl papers to download & print

Post by llprice »

I recently received an email from Canon (cameras & printers). They announced a section of their site had paper crafts, including a page on Origami. Of course the models are very simple, but scroll past the models to find several traditional paper patterns to download and print.

http://cp.c-ij.com/english/3D-papercraf ... index.html
LL