Making Money from Origami??? What Do You Think

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
SoulReal

Making Money from Origami??? What Do You Think

Post by SoulReal »

Hi folks,

I came across this web site that talk about making money from Origami:
http://www.origamibiz.com

I have read/heard some discussions about this topic in other groups; some think it's a good idea and some oppose it due to copyright, ethics etc.

So what do you think?

Soul
chapbell

Post by chapbell »

I'm curious about why you would ask such a question.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

This page seems to be a racket, don´t leave your mail-adress there or you´ll probably end up with a lot of spam in your mailbox.
Friet

Post by Friet »

I wouldn't trust it either...
SoulReal

Post by SoulReal »

The reason I ask this question is that I'm in a dilemma that I love Origami a lot but always wonder is there any way to make some money from what you've created/folded not to make a living; but to recover some cost for the paper/material needed.

In fact, I've gave away my email to that web site few days ago :? ; so far so good.

Soul
mleonard

Post by mleonard »

Yes, you can make money out of origami. A few people, including one of our genial moderators, even contrive to make a living out of it.

I've done a few teaching jobs, and I've sold a few pieces here and there, but not much really. I find that a depressingly large proportion of the job offers I get fall through, sometimes at the last moment. But maybe that's just me...
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Most people, folders and nonfolders, aren't willing to pay much money for what they consider to be merely a piece of paper. And most companies usually balk when they find out about the offered rates, and the weird (to them) conditions on copyright and credits and whatnot.

Here's three ways to make money off origami:
1 - Make traditional stuff and decorate them further, then sell them at craft fairs. Turn them into something functional, like bookmarks, earrings, pendants, etc, or use them as decorative elements on boxes, lampshades, and the like. Now you've got to throw in the cost of buying lacquer, extra materials, paints, glue, and often the rental cost of a stall at a fair. Since it's traditional stuff, there's not much copyright/ethics issue involved.
2 - Teach classes.
3 - Write an e-book on how to make money off origami.

Bottom line is, origami is just like any other hobby where you've got to shell out moolah for what you need. Even at $1-2 for a sheet of some exotic paper, it doesn't cost you as much as some other hobbies like railroad modeling or mini wargaming.
Friet

Post by Friet »

I've thought about teaching some classes as a way to make some money. (since I'm a poor student :)) But I'd have to rent a space, buy lots of paper, mail people to ask them if I can teach their models etc. Not something I have time for at the moment.
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

I've been thinking about teaching locally too.
I think local craft stores might sponser me, if taught there, to attract customers.
I was also thinking about submitting an idea for a workshop at the local college, but I'm not sure how much I should offer to teach that would be acceptable.

I haven't made any money from origami, but I have made origami from money :)
emmajg

making a living folding paper

Post by emmajg »

I enjoy folding and happily do it for free
I also love to help others to fold hence I set origami4you back in 1995 and having all my work on the website people kept emailing me asking to buy it so I started to make and sell.
I've done the odd commission and teaching class as it help spread the word of origami.
My main ambition to have a book one day but until then I'm happy working from home and earning just enough to look after my baby.

If you're interested in making money the BOS have a commission list you can join.

As for E-Books unless they're you own designs, don't go there as personally I think it's bad to sell something that is freely available online.

Hugs
Em
sheeptortoiseorigami

Re: Making Money from Origami??? What Do You Think

Post by sheeptortoiseorigami »

That's awesome! It's definitely possible, and it would be so cool to be able to make money from something as awesome as origami. I'm here for the ride and I think it's gonna be epic!