New Nicolas Terry Book from VOG!

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
JumPurge

Re: New Nicolas Terry Book from VOG!

Post by JumPurge »

I've noticed on the page for the VOG book, it says insects, when you say here only one insect. Call me a grammar nazi, but you might wish to make one or the other official. :P
But I'd definitly have to suggest NGUYỄN Hùng Cường's Scorpion, Cyriopalus, or Cyclommatus metallifer. It's beautifully detailed.
euroboy

Post by euroboy »

Yes, more insects pleaseeeeee. Would love to see Cuong's Scorpion or flying mantis in this book.(both fingers cross!)
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

euroboy wrote:Yes, more insects pleaseeeeee. Would love to see Cuong's Scorpion or flying mantis in this book.(both fingers cross!)
Really? You think a scorpion is an insect?
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

dinogami wrote:
euroboy wrote:Yes, more insects pleaseeeeee. Would love to see Cuong's Scorpion or flying mantis in this book.(both fingers cross!)
Although they are arthropods and arachnids, colloquially, they are insects. I mean... it's only two legs more than an insect :P Evolutionary it's miles from, it's just too similar that it's just lumped in.
In the same way people lump birds more with mammals than their reptile like ancestry.
euroboy

Post by euroboy »

JumPurge wrote:
dinogami wrote:
Although they are arthropods and arachnids, colloquially, they are insects. I mean... it's only two legs more than an insect :P Evolutionary it's miles from, it's just too similar that it's just lumped in.
In the same way people lump birds more with mammals than their reptile like ancestry.
Very well explained :wink:
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

JumPurge wrote:
dinogami wrote:
You took science with Calvin's dad, right ?
:lol:

I don't think we need another gazillion insects, one or two is just fine, I'm looking forward to models which are more expressive and/or have different esthetic accents and I'm sure this book will deliver just that, the VOG has definitely set its own standards in that respect.
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

No scorpion, no praying mantis.
The only insect in the book will be the Eupatorus gracilicornis by Dao Cuong Quyet, a model with color change and 3D body.

http://www.passionorigami.com : all the latest news about origami
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

Ooh thats a cool insect
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

wow, that's awesome!
another 'must fold' in the book! :D
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

joshuaorigami wrote:wow, that's awesome!
another 'must fold' in the book! :D
Yea!
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

Although they are arthropods and arachnids, colloquially, they are insects. I mean... it's only two legs more than an insect :P
LOL! Using the same logic, you have only two fewer legs than an insect, therefore you should be considered an insect, too.
Evolutionary it's miles from, it's just too similar that it's just lumped in.
Yes, and there is a word for those people: wrong. There are plenty of people out there that think that birds aren't animals (hence many pet store signs that say something like "WE SELL ANIMALS AND BIRDS"). There are plenty of elementary school teachers (at least in the US, sadly) that don't even know that insects are animals. There are people that think that all fossils are dinosaurs--that the word "fossil" is a synonym for "dinosaur." There are people that think that "Muslim" = "evil."

C'mon, people...! Don't be lazy, and certainly DON'T do something just because "most people" do it, especially if it's demonstrably wrong!
mixmastermarc16

Post by mixmastermarc16 »

back to the REAL topic.....im really looking forward to this bug...langs version is proving to be difficult...but i must say im a lil dissapointed to not see the flying mantis.....i thought for sure thats the direction terry would go....oh well....ill take what i can get and smile about it!
Sroge4

Post by Sroge4 »

Oooo I like the color change :) Can't wait for this book...
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Dino: my argument was colloquial. Not that it's only two legs more or short. People often say spiders are insects, and it's wrong. But it's just a colloquial thing, and the words origins comes from "cut into sections". Gee, how many arthropods, be it arachnid, insecta, myriapoda, fall into that? :roll:
I'd sooner lose my temper and throw the dictionary at somebody saying birds aren't animals, or that fossils are dinosaurs, than somebody saying spiders and scorpions are insects, especially when they mean it in a simple colloquial matter and not the actual insecta class.

Gach: You can impose what you want in the book with your more expressive models, but you can't turn around and say I'm not allowed to ask what I want of the book when I ask for clarification of the plural "insects" and the phrase "only one insect" in the thread. Nor say I'm not allowed to use a colloquial definition of insect when asking for a scorpion, because it's one of the artists listed models. I think Euroboy got the point of the colloquial definiton of insect, and I think you both are trying to make not only a mountain out of a mole hill, but are trying to argue a point that I've already shown you to not be the case. If I actually didn't know insecta did not include scorpions, and I didn't have such a great interest in biology, would you not just say "it's a simple and understandable mistake"? If you can see yourself saying that, then you already get my point, and I don't think you should respond trying to stretch this out more.

That said, in relivance to the new beetle, I look forward to it. I'll have to buy brown tissue so I can have a more accurate version. Very good choice of model I'd say, Terry. Would NGUYỄN Hùng Cường Song bird be in it? Maybe the Orchid, or morning glory by Tran?
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

>but i must say im a lil dissapointed to not see the flying mantis.....i thought for sure thats the direction terry would go....oh well....ill take what i can get and smile about it!

Choose a model depend of many things. I can include a model only :
- If the author (or a friend) are able to draw the diagram (and seems seral VOG members don't know how to draw diagrams)
AND
- if the models have a nice folding sequence !(I don't want boring sequence and that's why I've, for example, limited the number of Box-pleating model)
AND
-if the author are able to draw before the deadline

Following this third conditions (fourth if I add the fact that I want pure origami from a square and not rectangle), a very great part of the models can't be in the book.

I don't know about praying mantis but the author didn't propose it for the book, maybe because he can't draw the diagram, maybe too much difficult to diagram it, maybe no nice folding sequence (boring box-pleating collapse)....etc

So the choice of models for this book is a fair mixt between my wishes, the VOG wishes, and what really VOG members are able to do before the deadine.
You can't imagine the huge quantity of mail exchange to fix that :o)))))

And I take this opportunity to pay tribute to two key persons of the project:
- Giang Dinh who are the link and translator between me and VOG members.
- Nguyen Cuong who are able to help a lot of VOG members drawing diagrams and folding procedures in the book.

Nicolas
Last edited by TERRY Nicolas on August 20th, 2011, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.passionorigami.com : all the latest news about origami