New Nicolas Terry Book from VOG!

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
TERRY Nicolas

Re: New Nicolas Terry Book from VOG!

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

New model revealed : Larval Wyrm by Tran Trung Hieu

http://www.origami-shop.com/larval-wyrm ... -1808.html

http://www.passionorigami.com : all the latest news about origami
Axel´s Origami

Post by Axel´s Origami »

That one looks like a fun fold to, I like the eyes.
Sroge4

Post by Sroge4 »

I love it :) but that paper doesn't look the best for it...

Also, are there going to be any other dragons or fantasy creatures in the book?
euroboy

Post by euroboy »

Got this info from Nicolas on his twitter......planning to add one more model from Ngyuen Cuong ???

Which one ?? Is it one of Cuong's Insect ???
Bubo

Post by Bubo »

I too hope it's a bug. I know there are some "bug-haters" here but their has been a noticeable lack of insect diagrams of late. None in Tanteidan 17 :( (Sorry I don't count that monsterous Mantis Shrimp :shock: ). I'm hopeful the VOG book and Brain Chan's book will provide some new generation bug's to fold.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

Bubo wrote:I too hope it's a bug. I know there are some "bug-haters" here but their has been a noticeable lack of insect diagrams of late. None in Tanteidan 17 :( (Sorry I don't count that monsterous Mantis Shrimp :shock: ). I'm hopeful the VOG book and Brain Chan's book will provide some new generation bug's to fold.
are you being serious? besides lang producing two entire books on origami insects, gallery origami house has also put out one with kawahata and nishikawa, many of the tanteidan collections almost invariably have an insect as the "featured" complex model, in many cases more than one, victoria serova's book is half insects, not to mention several crease patterns for more, montroll has dedicated one book to them as well as having several sprinkled throughout his other books, and so forth, not to mention manuel sirgio and the plethora of up and coming latino designers.

there is not a paucity of diagrams for origami insects, not even a little. enough with the insects! i don't hate origami insects, but there is already too much on the subject matter, made even worse by the following fact: they almost invariably follow one of two routes: box pleating, or find bizarre reference points, collapse base, sink in and out to thin the limbs.

it is okay to design complex models that are not insects! it is okay to use techniques other than box pleating and sinking in and out to design them! i commend terry for moving away from the ridiculous demand for nothing but super complex models requiring paper of 0 gsm and infinite strength, instead compiling books with beautiful models as well as interesting folding sequences. there will be plenty more insects in the future, let those of us who like mammals, reptiles, fish, birds, dinosaurs, and fantasy creatures have a little too! sheesh.
Bubo

Post by Bubo »

Yes I'm serious,

I said "of late". Origami Insects 1 and 2 were several years ago as were Manuel Sirgo's books. Insects 2 was published 8 years ago! I don't fold from crease patterns so although I have a lot of respect for Victoria Serova's work it is of no use to me personally (don't hate me because I don't have time for CPs). I have already done the insects from the previous convention books some of them several times. Your well and truly on record Bethnor as not being a fan of insects and I can respect your opinion on the matter but there are many other folders that don't share your view.

Frankly if there is something we don't need more of its elephants, penguins and rabbits. There were two rabbits in the 16th convention book, three more in the 17th. I don't decry this as I think they are excellent additions to the panopoly of rabbit models already in existence. There seems to be a joke amongst designers that they must do an elephant as a "right of passage" - the one coming out in Terry's new book is a beautiful addition that I look forward to. What perhaps you don't appreciate is that when it comes to rabbits and elephants there isn't a lot of physiological variety (although there certainly can be variety through artistic interpretation). With insects the range of species along with the challenging technical aspects actually give a lot of folders, including myself, a lot of pleasure. For me that's what origami is about - enjoyment. Forgive me if I don't want to fold the same insects I have before and if I would like to fold Brian Chan's flying katydid or Cuong's scorpion. To suggest that there aren't enough mammals, birds, fish to fold is far more ridiculous that suggesting some NEW insects wouldn't be appreciated - or should we have a count through the last few convention books, Licence to Fold, Quentin's book etc.

I'm certainly not trying to start a flame war. I have a lot of respect for most of what you post here Bethnor (I've been lurking for longer than you've been posting). I certainly agree with you that excessive boxpleating or multiple sinks, or blintzes bases can be dull but to suggest that this is all that is involved with complex insects suggests that you haven't folded may and is insulting to designers such as Chan and Kamiya. Then again its more likely that we just have different preferences when it comes to origami. I hope you take all the above as just the respectful response it was meant to be.

I don't just fold insects
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

Anyway, as I told before, there is only one insect in the book.
Nicolas
redheadorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by redheadorigami »

Bubo, if you are getting sick of no new bugs, make your own.
Simple (or ridicolously complex) as that.
"Violence isn't the answer but it's always a good start."
-JeossMayhem
Bubo

Post by Bubo »

Hey Redhead,

Sorry mate but that's not a reasonable option. That's akin to telling someone who wants a new car to go out and make their own - or someone who would like a new album from their favourite music artist to go get in the recording studio themselves. I get enjoyment from folding the models diagrammed by others - that's my hobby. I think I have the right to express a desire for more insect diagrams - I even took the time to explain my position. I am merely expressing my desires and not making any demands nor denigrating the desires or efforts of others. You know full well that designing ones own models takes days to years! I have a full time job, kids to raise and other interests. Sorry but suddenly being able to design like Lang or Kamiya is not an option for me - maybe it is for you (or maybe you were being facetious). Of course if no-one chooses to design a sequence for another insect ever again that's their prerogative and I will be more than grateful for whatever diagrams of whatever subjects are published. I will be buying the VOG book be there 1, none or 10 insects because I think most of the other models revealed so far are more than worth my time and money.

Nice to hear from a fellow Aussie.
redheadorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by redheadorigami »

Bubo wrote:Hey Redhead,

Sorry mate but that's not a reasonable option. That's akin to telling someone who wants a new car to go out and make their own - or someone who would like a new album from their favourite music artist to go get in the recording studio themselves. I get enjoyment from folding the models diagrammed by others - that's my hobby. I think I have the right to express a desire for more insect diagrams - I even took the time to explain my position. I am merely expressing my desires and not making any demands nor denigrating the desires or efforts of others. You know full well that designing ones own models takes days to years! I have a full time job, kids to raise and other interests. Sorry but suddenly being able to design like Lang or Kamiya is not an option for me - maybe it is for you (or maybe you were being facetious). Of course if no-one chooses to design a sequence for another insect ever again that's their prerogative and I will be more than grateful for whatever diagrams of whatever subjects are published. I will be buying the VOG book be there 1, none or 10 insects because I think most of the other models revealed so far are more than worth my time and money.

Nice to hear from a fellow Aussie.
I wasnt pointing out that it was akin, and (to me, I may just see origami designing easy, or at least the field of origami I design.) it seems easier than making your own music, or builiding your own car.
While its probably (definitely) subject to being put down, I guess, because SOME of my model designs are variations on others designs.
Think about it.
In one of my designs, I basically steal from Jorge Jaramillo's Tanny Tess, Eric Gjerde's 5 and 4, and even geometry with a tiling of 4 square twists, just to produce a unique pattern when they all tile together.
(In the end, it worked out fine, as most tessellations based on a square grid actually tessellate pretty evenly!)
Ok I trailed off for a sec...
THE main point being, designing a model does not have to be a ninth-circle-of-hell thing.
Im sorry for not realising the point you were making - not a request.
And as a 13 year old, (not bragging, but) I have ridiculous amounts of free time - most of which is spent either on the internet or folding, I dont know what you're life is like and I'm sorry for not taking into consideration of what other people might be living like.
Good to hear there is another Australian origamist here, too.

Oh yeah, this was not meant to be trolling, Because I have no idea what this sounds like when people will read it.
-JeossMayhem
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

It sounds like an admittance of larceny from a red-headed [pun intended] thief :-)

Since you pointed it out, there's the chance that Bubo has been lurking longer than redheadorigami has been around :-) I greatly admire the fact that younger folders have evolved faster in the past 5 years due to Lang and the Internet, than many of us did in the past 20+ years. Like Bubo, designing, (diagramming), and CPs are just outside of my skill and patience. And, I was amazed when I 'taught' a 21yo engineer who worked for me to fold Won Park's Dollar Koi with precision and beauty, even though he'd only folded a crane, before... also outside of my patience and precision.

I also love Giang Dinh and Quentin Trollip's artistry, but most of their models are at least two levels beyond my stretch...

I like some of the simpler models like the Grasshopper by Samuel Randlett in The Art of Origami, the Bug by George Rhoads in the Best of Origami, Full Masted Ship (Crawford) - Origami Step-by-Step, Harbin, etc. And, I like to encourage intermediate models of that type ...
redheadorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by redheadorigami »

OK.. I think we shoud get back on topic, but

Seriously.
But I can call this my own design because no one else had done it, see what I mean?
-JeossMayhem
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

New model revealed = Dragon by Nguyen Tuan Anh
Level = complex (104 steps - 8 pages)

http://www.origami-shop.com/dragon-nguy ... -1821.html

Washi

Post by Washi »