Krishna

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
hermanntrude

Krishna

Post by hermanntrude »

Does anyone know of a model that could be converted into a Krishna easily? By the addition of a rolled up piece of paper for a flute for e.g.

I have to do a secret santa and the only thing I know about the guy I am giving to is that he's Hindu and his name is Ramakrishna.
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

You could always try Robert Lang's Shiva model, and use two of the arms to form the necklace instead.

Alternatively, there's always Yoshizawa's frog-base human, add extra sheets for the headdress, flute and necklace, and then place everything into the traditional lotus.
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

Are either of those available online?
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Robert Lang's Shiva is from the same base as his Praying Mantis from Origami Insects and their Kin, whose diagrams are indeed online, at origami.com. Fold the first 25 or so steps. The two sets flaps which are connected (which normally become the legs it stands on) should become the two sets of arms.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Wow! I have been doing Shiva since last week and I really like that base. What's interesting is that the first steps of the base, the ones to find the references, are different in the two diagrams (Shiva and the Praying Mantis). Really interesting.

Even more, in ODS a hint is given to find the references that is different than the two methods shown at the diagrams. Robert Lang most have been bored with doing the base the same way all the time so he found new ways. Really cool.
mleonard

Re: krishna

Post by mleonard »

hermanntrude wrote:I have to do a secret santa and the only thing i know about the guy i am giving to is that he's hindu and his name is ramakrishna
Whoa, that's a really secret santa. What did you do, pick a name out of the phone book?
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

It's a work thing. he's in the same department as me but only a visiting researcher.

does anyone know if origami models of a god are appropriate?
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I'd be very careful. Some people might get offended while others might consider it a big compliment.
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

i decided to make an OM instead.

what do u think?

the idea for how to make it was anna's btw

wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Hey, that's pretty cool, and a unique idea for a model too!

<cheeky>Any diagrams?</cheeky>
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

no diagrams. mainly cos the last few steps are "push it into the right shape" steps.

basically take a square and box pleat it down to 16ths, so u get a four armed shape, then use two arms for each side.

still unsure as to whether to present it to this guy, though. don't even know what the symbol means really.

all credit for the idea goes to origami_8. She made another version by the same method. i have yet to see it but i heard it's very different to mine.