Cubehemioctahedron

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
hermanntrude

Cubehemioctahedron

Post by hermanntrude »

Hiya

I was looking at Lewis Simon's "twist cube" the other day and realised it had the lines on it ready to make a cubehemioctahedron. So i made a new one from foil with the extra creases necessary. here is the result:

I suppose i would need Lewis Simon's permission to diagram it, right?
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah
bshuval

Post by bshuval »

First, Lewis Simon is dead. He passed away several years ago.

Second, are you sure this is a cubehemioctahedron (are the triangular face sunk? Are they all equilateral triangles)?

This is your own creation. Diagram it, and say it is based on a design by Lewis Simon (and give sources where it can be found).
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

firstly, i'd like to say i'm sorry to hear Lewis Simon is dead. I have only been back in origami for a year or so and i didnt know. Sorry if it caused any offence.

secondly you are right that the triangles are not equilateral... i didnt know they had to be. i always imagined a cubehemioctahedron was made from a cube with sunken corners. it's close but not the same, then. i'll give it a different name i guess.
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

i just did a little research and it seems that:

a) cubehemioctahedron is a mis-spelling, used in origami. i looked it up and google suggested another spelling and all the results under the mis-spelling were origami ones. it should be cubohemiocctahedron

b) you are correct that the triangles should be equilateral. the reason i thought it was correct is that if you view a real cubohemioctahedron looking directly at a square it looks the same, since the insides of the sunken faces are hidden.