Origami design secrets

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
polop

Post by polop »

I have also folded this model a couple of times but my first was my best (bigginers luck) which I then gave as a present. All the ones since are no way as good as the first!!

Ps. Woo 100 posts
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

4sigma, :lol: I haven't read the book in a while, so I forgot the full name... I think your right. Nice Job on the turtle!
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Draco

Post by Draco »

i'm about to buy the book soon. anything i should look forward to or any advice/warnings?
though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light, for i have loved the stars to fondly to be fearful of the night
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Reading that book will not magically make you an origami designer. It will teach you to understand point-splits and grafts, and why you tend to see certain sequences often. It will teach you to recognize some common molecules, and it will give you an introduction to circle-packing and tree theory.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

It does a bit more than that, Jared :P
It goes into basic box-pleating, tiling, molecule construction, and a little bit of more complicated stuff as well.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Obviously, reading the book does not magically make you an expert in
basic box-pleating, tiling, molecule construction, either :-)

I recommend that you read/skim the book all the way through, folding the models that you have patience and skill for. The go back and study each chapter individually, trying a few times to fold each example model. It IS an advanced course in Origami.

If you persist, you WILL learn an amazing amount of Origami design in spite of yourself... Then you'll have to put it into practice.

Afterwards, you might go back and revisit Kasahara, Maekawa, and Kawasaki's books, because you'll understand their design principles better.

- Hank Simon
Draco

Post by Draco »

just what i expected :)
though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light, for i have loved the stars to fondly to be fearful of the night