Which finish to use for kawasaki rose?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Excalibur

Which finish to use for kawasaki rose?

Post by Excalibur »

I'm fairly new to origami and I recently learnt how to fold the Kawasaki rose. I read somewhere that a spray on matt or gloss finish can be used to stiffen the model and preserve the surface. So, my question is which of these two gives a better look, or should I even use one at all?

I'd rather not have to go buy both of them and try to see for myself :P. Thanks.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

"Better look" is subjective - you're going to have to decide for yourself what you want in a finished model, and what you intend to do with it. Some folks like the pure, untamed paper look; others like it lightly varnished, and a few like it encased in resin.

My experience has been that there's really not too much difference between matte and gloss finishes. Both end up looking shiny, and the gloss finish just looks a tad shiner. It also depends on the type of paper you're using - is it already smooth to begin with, or does it have little fibres or big ones? The final look can be very different depending on what you start with. Also, oil-based finishes might make the paper translucent, but that can be an advantage if that's the look you want.

If you have a tube of white glue, you can dilute that with water and dunk the rose inside, then let it dry. That'll work as a stiffener and preserver too.
Excalibur

Post by Excalibur »

Thanks a lot. not a very artsy person and that was a great help. i guess trial and error may be the way to go :P