Andrey Ermakov - Book

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Falcifer

Re: Andrey Ermakov - Book

Post by Falcifer »

Just to clarify, hex-pleating isn't based on multiples of 6 degrees, but 60 degrees, because 360 divided by 6 is 60. HP is usually a hexagonal grid which is further divided into equilateral triangles, so it's a lot of 30 and 60 degree angles. This sort of grid is used in design, too. You can print isometric grids from here.

OP would be octagonal, which equates to 45 degrees. I'm not sure how much it differs from box-pleating.
DP is decagonal, which equates to 36 degrees. It probably sounds awkward, but as Andrey says, once you've pre-creased the grid, it wouldn't be much different from any other form of pre-creased grid (in theory).
DDP would be getting back to 30 degree angles. Again, I'm sure sure how that differs from HP. I suppose the more edges you add to the polygon, the closer you get to a circle and hence the more efficient the usage of the paper.

The point is that OP doesn't mean using multiples of 8 degrees, DP doesn't mean using 10 degree angles, etc.

On a completely different topic, my mum recently expressed interest in an origami deer head to put on her wall, so the deer head, with mount, is of great interest to me.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

jacoboqc wrote:Andrey, that's an amazing book. I don't wanna be boring but that's A LOT of information about origami techniques, just like ODS by Lang. It will be a pity if that book was only avaiable for russian people. Please please please please please please please make an English translation, I'm not the only one who will thank you for that.
He has said he'll release a the russian text as a text file for people who buy the book, so hopefully some one who is fluent in both russian and english will be able to produce a good translation of the text.
If that happens, then maybe Andrey can use that translated text to do a new printing of the book in english?
cowburger13

Post by cowburger13 »

OH WOW! I have to buy this as soon as possible! Some of those models look EXTREMELY intense :O
Argil

Post by Argil »

The rose is not in the book :(
anermak
Buddha

Post by anermak »

Falcifer wrote:I'm not sure how much it differs from box-pleating
Falcifer wrote:Again, I'm sure sure how that differs from HP
No, seriously ... :roll: I do not want to intrigue, but it's totally different grids, which are fairly easy to make on the plane with some kind of ref. folds ... I will not tell ahead of time, just say - that the BP and HP's grids, are special cases (two from infinety)... Pleated grids and techniques are infinity many, if approach them with another sides (not usual) and it easy to make on square with fold...This theoretical elements and many other (not printed earlier in JAOS, ODS or math-editions) can be found in there ... But who is not interested in theory - can always to fold diagrams and CP's... Cost will 25 euro + delivery
Argil wrote:The rose is not in the book
No, unfortunately - in the next time...
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

any word of which way these will be diagrammed? as in which ones would be diagrams, and which are CPs? i really do want to get this book because the models are really neat, but i worry that the ones that are like *passes out* will only be CPs, and i have a very long way to go to be good at CPs
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

When will this book be released? Thanks,

Jake
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)
anermak
Buddha

Post by anermak »

Lephantome92 wrote:which ones would be diagrams, and which are CPs?
the first 21 - all diagrams (include Deer Head and Mantis shrimp), the last 14 - CP + reference points, and addition

astacidea - CP + diagram of main ref. folds (first 24 steps);
pangolin, deer, butterfly - CP + step design process (that is, if you want you can arbitrarily change the length of flap "by yourself" - the algorithm is described)
Komar, trilobite, scutigera, locust - CP+ reference points + plus reference on square for the make OP *, DP, HP *, HP {1, 3} - grids
Fluffy wrote:When will this book be released?
15-17 of july it will be ready for sale.
Last edited by anermak on July 13th, 2012, 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Even if it's only a few days, I can't wait!
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

:shock: you diagrammed the mantis shrimp?! :shock:
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

i really like the globe
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

So after 2.5 weeks, we cannot buy your book anymore?
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

the mantis shrimp was one of the reasons i really wanted to buy your book, especially now that it's going to be full diagrams!!
Bubo

Post by Bubo »

Unless Andrey says otherwise I would presume that the Mantis Shrimp diagrams are the same as those in Tanteidan Convention Book #17. I think calling them "full diagrams" might be a tad misleading. Many of the diagrammed steps are more like illustrated collapses. Don't get me wrong - that it is diagrammed in any form is amazing (and I hope others will follow Andrey's approach for models that don't have a straightforward, more traditional, folding sequence or where such sequences would be far to time consuming to produce) but be aware that the approach to folding this model is far more like collapsing a crease pattern than say folding from a set of Kamiya or Komatsu diagrams.

Don't let that put you off buying the book though - just be willing to take on the challenge!
jeko

Post by jeko »

Andrey, the book looks amazing! So how/where can we order?