Shuki Kato's book

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Creasepatternmaker

Re: Shuki Kato's book

Post by Creasepatternmaker »

I don't think he's going to finish them. He had told me it was a pain to diagram, so it may have been too difficult for him. :( I don't blame him though, it is pretty intense.
origami-artist-galen

Post by origami-artist-galen »

dragonaura wrote:I'm new to posting on this forum (although I have been lurking around here for quite a while) and after looking through your flickr I was compelled to say that I love your models and if I got my hands on your book it would take pride of place along side my other origami books. I do have some questions for you though but they might not be answerable yet.
I know most people here are probably more interested in the complex and super complex side of origami but are you considering including some of your intermediate models and whether they would be printed in order of difficulty? I've read several pages of this thread (some but not all) and only asked this because sometimes I find that it's nice to have a lead up to very hard models.
I know there were suggestions for ebooks and various formats but if you came out with a printed version where would you be selling it from? I would love to have this book but I would be greatly disappointed if I found out your avenue of choice wouldn't sell to my country (of course it would be no fault of yours but sometimes these things happen.) Origami-shop would be the best place for everyone one all over the world but if you choose to go somewhere else we would all try to get a copy from there.
I've actually forgotten my other questions in the course of typing this so I will probably be back. That model completed picture looks very exciting!
Well, just to get the fact out there again, I'm not sending the diagrams to any publishers until I finish all, or at least most, of them. Which means yes, hopefully I can get a real book published, but if it comes down to it, an e-book would be better than nothing. What I'm planning on is a collection of my designs from 1999-2012, early models are relatively easy while the latter ones are on the verge on impossibly difficult.
cowburger13 wrote:I'd love to see your wolf and goldfish diagrammed.
They're both on the "planned" list, so you should get your wish;)
phillipcurl wrote:Shuki actually has quite a few steps done on it. I think around 30, last time he told me. That was several months ago, though.
And it's still that, 3 pages in and then I decided to drop it off to diagram the beetles. Now the plan is to attempt to continue those diagrams on Monday because today I'd rather watch golf and redraw some older cps :wink:
Creasepatternmaker

You plan on finishing the Giganotosaurus diagrams? That's crazy. :lol: Good luck!
Tahaorigami

Post by Tahaorigami »

:shock: Awesome man! I really cannot wait for your book. It might be over 300 steps total.
Kyle2952

Post by Kyle2952 »

How are the Giganotosaurus diagrams coming? I'd be happy to test fold them if you need me to :wink:
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/89546245@N05
Comments welcome!!
Creasepatternmaker

Any updates Shuki? This topic is dying.
origami-artist-galen

Post by origami-artist-galen »

Creasepatternmaker wrote:Any updates Shuki? This topic is dying.
Not really any updates since then Justin, I've been busy with other things... I finally have an actual job again, so diagramming progress has slowed down to a halt.
fncll

Post by fncll »

Without looking through 24 pages of this thread, have you considered selling diagrams individually through OUSA or some other method?
Creasepatternmaker

fncll wrote:Without looking through 24 pages of this thread, have you considered selling diagrams individually through OUSA or some other method?
He's sold his flying stag beetle on the OUSA website.
fncll

Post by fncll »

Cool. I'll go check it out. Maybe if enough people buy it we'll see more!
steingar

Post by steingar »

origami-artist-galen wrote:
Creasepatternmaker wrote:Any updates Shuki? This topic is dying.
Not really any updates since then Justin, I've been busy with other things... I finally have an actual job again, so diagramming progress has slowed down to a halt.
Yeah, the whole gainful employment thing can really put the kabosh on diagramming. Good luck getting it done though.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

I know how you feel, work and school put some serious dampers on getting other stuff done.
I've been attempting to finish up several diagrams for months now, but video games, work, this girl, and school have been distracting me.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
satoshifan

Post by satoshifan »

This topic is definitely dying. I noticed Shuki removed all of his existing diagrams (such as the western dragon) from his flickr and I thought this was since he was planning on making a book.

If the book isn't going to happen (And i hope to cow (big bang theory show reference) that it he will finish the book) will he put them back?
"You have not failed. You have simply found one thousand things that don't work. Therefore, you are one thousand things closer to finding something that will"
~Thomas Edison
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

satoshifan wrote:This topic is definitely dying. I noticed Shuki removed all of his existing diagrams (such as the western dragon) from his flickr and I thought this was since he was planning on making a book.

If the book isn't going to happen (And i hope to cow (big bang theory show reference) that it he will finish the book) will he put them back?
Well last I have heard he is putting the book on hold for a while, but still will be making it.

But please be respectful that diagrams do take a long painful process to do. I do my own diagrams for some models, and with less than 50 steps, those are painful. And Shuki's is like 200-300 steps!! I doubt he will put them back, and I hope he doesn't because that would be a lot of work to put out for free. If he were to put them back, he would put them on OUSA Diagram Download.... at least that's what I would think. Just please be respectful of him (I think you are but let's keep it that way). Thank you,

Jake
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)
satoshifan

Post by satoshifan »

Yes I understand diagrams are difficult. I've been trying to diagram my boxpleated camel spider for a while now. I have a step by step folding method to do it, but the diagrams are so... hard... to... draw....

This is unrelated, but my second year of being on this site is drawing to a close, and to commemorate the start of my 3rd, I'm going to fold a ryujin 1.2 with a 3.5 head grafted on. Should be a fun challenge to make the ryujin 1.2.3.5!
"You have not failed. You have simply found one thousand things that don't work. Therefore, you are one thousand things closer to finding something that will"
~Thomas Edison