Shuki Kato's book

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
phillipcurl

Re: Should Shuki Kato make a book?

Post by phillipcurl »

well, thats good, because i absolutely despise ebooks.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
fncll

Post by fncll »

Tell us how you really feel?

I'm glad it will be a paper book as well. Though I hope the experience is positive enough that, in the end, we don't end up seeing fewer models than we would have otherwise.

I know quite a few people selling paper books; I don't know too many who are very happy with the process right now.
Axel´s Origami

Post by Axel´s Origami »

There is actually a very easy method to prevent the book from being spread on the internet.
fncll

Post by fncll »

Care to share it with us? Other than not making it, of course.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

you could make it un-scannable by putting a light reflective coating on the pages, but that isn't easy and would be innefective.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Trouble
Forum Sensei

Post by Trouble »

or one could watermark all of the buyers personal info onto the pages
fncll

Post by fncll »

phillipcurl wrote:you could make it un-scannable by putting a light reflective coating on the pages, but that isn't easy and would be innefective.
Well, sure. If we are talking non-scalable solutions, then there are any number of ways :)
fncll

Post by fncll »

Trouble wrote:or one could watermark all of the buyers personal info onto the pages
If you mean truly personal info, then there are a host of reasons :)

but if you mean the buyer's identity... well, there are plenty of pirated books out there with such identifiable information. There's no recourse even if you can find the person ("I lost it!")
Axel´s Origami

Post by Axel´s Origami »

you just need to find the site which hosts the file, call the admin and ask him to remove it.
most origami books online are hosted on mediafire (you know how i know so dont start some sh!t about it, people) and most of the admins there are more than happy to use their power to remove copyrighted stuff.

tl;dr:
1. find the file
2. ask the admin to remove it
3. ????
4. profit!
fncll

Post by fncll »

Good luck with that. The books are out there all over. I'm not condoning it, but no one is going to have any luck trying to stamp out all the roaches.
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

It's been one thing holding me back from making a book. Maybe I should just assume I won't profit off it...
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

it doesn't matter the profit, what matters is the satisfaction of your customer :D
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Bass

Post by Bass »

kareshi wrote:It's been one thing holding me back from making a book. Maybe I should just assume I won't profit off it...
I don't view it so much as a money-making venture. I like to think of it as just something I'll have to show my grand-kids one day. Though, I certainly wouldn't mind breaking even. 8)
Axel´s Origami

Post by Axel´s Origami »

fncll wrote:Good luck with that. The books are out there all over. I'm not condoning it, but no one is going to have any luck trying to stamp out all the roaches.
Then gas the roaches. If you spend an hour or two each week and use the right methods you'll have no problem finding most of the files and removing them, those which you dont find arent to likley to be found by other people either.
fncll

Post by fncll »

Axel´s Origami wrote:
fncll wrote:Good luck with that. The books are out there all over. I'm not condoning it, but no one is going to have any luck trying to stamp out all the roaches.
Then gas the roaches. If you spend an hour or two each week and use the right methods you'll have no problem finding most of the files and removing them, those which you dont find arent to likley to be found by other people either.
Like I said: good luck with that.

I have personal experience with this and It'll be more like an hour or two each *day* and that won't even touch anything but the most common file sharing sites... even those go out of their way to make it harder than it should be to find your stuff being hosted. And then there are the private file sites, the blogs, and all the circles of ebook (and music) traders. Roaches are persistent.

I want to see books as much as the next guy, but I disagree with your rosy assessment of how to deal with pirates.

And all that for the already non-existent significant profits on almost any origami book? As I said: good luck with that.