Shuki Kato's book

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Bass

Re: Should Shuki Kato make a book?

Post by Bass »

origami-artist-galen wrote:Okay guys, I've decided to make the Western Dragon diagrams public. Originally I sent them to a select few people for proofreading and improving clarity (and as a result, had to make more edits than I would have liked), but I was a bit uncomfortable with that decision from the get-go. These are the only diagrams from the book that I'll be releasing publicly in PDF format and I plan to edit the rest mostly on my own.

http://www.mediafire.com/?islvwflo76ksx82
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Please release an e-book edition when this is done, folding from my iPad is sooo much easier than fighting an origami book with a tough spine.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

thank you, shuki--extremely generous of you. out of curiosity, are these western dragons essentially your simple dragon with lots of grafting?
origami-artist-galen

Post by origami-artist-galen »

bethnor wrote:thank you, shuki--extremely generous of you. out of curiosity, are these western dragons essentially your simple dragon with lots of grafting?
No, they both use 22.5 degree symmetry, but that's about it. I could fold another rather "simple" dragon taking out all but one of the grafts (removing them all would result in a three-legged dragon, not so cool). That would use the same references as V1 allocating the paper from the fingers and toes to the neck and tail.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I'm looking through the diagrams now. The model is excellent--I'll have to fold it soon. Thanks, Shuki!
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

I'll make it oneday, but currently i'm overloaded with classed, exams, tests, etc and i have barely anytime to work on anything anymore.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

Free diagrams? Yay! Origami-artist-galen you rule! One of the worlds coolest looking dragons going free! "Heaven, i'm in it"
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

you gonna fold it, harpseal?
its very challenging, probably would take two or three tries for me.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
origami-artist-galen

You're welcome guys! When you do try folding it use a 50 cm square or larger, the head gets tiny really fast.

Diagrams are finished for the triceratops; 114 steps total.

Now I would like to start on the Kabutomushi, except this is probably going to be even more brutal than those dragon diagrams...
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Your breezing through those diagrams, Shuki. I have never seen such high quality diagrams (assuming the rest are the same as the wester dragon) produced so fast, haha.

And what? the kabutomushi is worse than the dragon?
holy crap, that must be an insanely hard model (i'm still working on the stupid crease pattern.)

by the way your going, the book will be done in a few months O.o
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

It's interesting you posted that the day after I designed my own triceratops. Mine isn't quite as complex (assuming it's the one you have the CP for on your Flickr), but I designed it in a couple days. Still, I think it's one of my better designs.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

phillipcurl wrote:Your breezing through those diagrams, Shuki. I have never seen such high quality diagrams (assuming the rest are the same as the wester dragon) produced so fast, haha.

And what? the kabutomushi is worse than the dragon?
holy crap, that must be an insanely hard model (i'm still working on the stupid crease pattern.)

by the way your going, the book will be done in a few months O.o

A diagram a day keeps the irritating-disability-of- not-being-able-to-do-them-because-you-are-too-busy- carreering-off-into-an-invention-because-you-got-bored-of-the-diagrams at bay.

That happened to me halfway through Robert Lang's Biplane, after a solid month of inventing. You just have an incapability of being able to do diagrams because you get bored halfway through. I ended up with something with legs,arms, and a rotor. :D
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

haha, thats a cool model though. i really like it
i have mr lang's pikachu diagrams (one of his first diagrammed models) on my old computer, i downloaded them like in 2001 off of dev.origami.com. i don't think you can even get them on the internet anymore.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Harpseal wrote:A diagram a day keeps the irritating-disability-of- not-being-able-to-do-them-because-you-are-too-busy- carreering-off-into-an-invention-because-you-got-bored-of-the-diagrams at bay.

That happened to me halfway through Robert Lang's Biplane, after a solid month of inventing. You just have an incapability of being able to do diagrams because you get bored halfway through. I ended up with something with legs,arms, and a rotor. :D
Do you mean Marc Kirschenbaum's Biplane, or has Robert Lang designed one that I'm unaware of?
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

robert has designed one.
its in one of his books that I have, i think it was one of his first ones. I forgot the name though.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
origami-artist-galen

Just letting you all know that I did stop drawing diagrams for quite some time and will continue tomorrow. As for the expected release date for the book, perhaps my initial thoughts of 4 months was wishful thinking, all I can say is is we'll see.