Commercial Origami

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
saj

Commercial Origami

Post by saj »

Has anyone had any expience of doing any commercial Origami? I once worked for Rick Beech folding around 200 kimonos, with a rate of £1 for every 4 kimonos folded.

Having just got into making my own greeting cards, I wondered weather anyone has attempted to sell any origami greeting cards / models. I have found that simpler models look better on cards. What would you think would be an acceptable price to ask for an origami greeting card? The card itself would be A6 in size, with either a peace dove, butterfly, frog or cat stuck on the center of the page. The inside of the card would be blank, but I'm tempted to print a small message on the front cover (eg Merry Christmas).

I have seen (like on http://www.creased.com ) the greeting card being stamped on the front - I quite like this idea. I was thinking of manually stamping or initialing my cards.

Please let me know what you think, and please give me some ideas!

saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
thevoid

Post by thevoid »

the idea is good! but its going to be hard i think, to sell cards over the net - u need a good platform for this..

something else - i use alway anytype of models, the priority is it has to be 2d (or low 3d).. so it holds good and looks good too =)

you have to design some special things, then u will get much enquiries!

good luck anyways! 8)
Jen

Post by Jen »

Saj,

I have sold cards and hanging mobiles at craft fairs and such. Some of my friends and neighbors come to me when they want a special card or gift as well. :) I usually ask $5 CND for my cards and the hanging mobiles differ according to the models and the work it takes to create them.

I think there is a market for such things, but for me, the work it takes to go out there and show my stuff and create the interest is more than I can do right now with so many young children. Plus, I would also have to find the time to keep up to whatever orders I generated. :roll: Hopefully when the kiddies are all in school and I have more time to myself I will be able to generate a little bit of an income off my craft/artwork.
*~Jen~*