Book recommendation needed

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
alicat

Book recommendation needed

Post by alicat »

Hi all. I'm new here. I just discovered the fun of origami last November. Since then I've folded my way through Teach Yourself Origami by John Montroll and now I am hooked! I'm wondering what suggestions you all might have for my next book. I think I have a preference for animals/living things over geometric forms and objects.

I should mention that I've been reading all the reviews I can find on Amazon for various books. I'm rather tempted by Animal Origami for the Enthusiast by Montroll, Origami Sculptures by Montroll, or Origami Zoo by Robert Lang. I haven't had problems with what I've folded so far but don't want to get myself into anything insanely difficult or frustrating. Any thoughts on these, or other suggestions altogether?

Thanks! I'm eager for responses.
yee245

Post by yee245 »

you shoudl check out origamihouse's books like issei's super complex origami or works of satoshi kamiya.

nah, just kidding. as for a real book recommendation, i personally love "origami omnibus." it has a nice variety of models, though most are relatively simple. i haven't flipped through it in a bit, but it has pretty much everything in it. there are animals, objects, geometric stuff (though you said you prefered animals).

here it is on amazon for only $15. if you look at the "look inside" you can read the table of contents and see what it has.
alicat

Post by alicat »

Thanks, I'll have a look at Origami Omnibus.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how the folds in Montroll's Animal Origami for the Enthusiast compare in difficulty to his other books. I'm familiar with his star difficulty ratings, but there are no ratings listed for that book.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts. Thanks
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

The style and difficulty of the models in AOftE is pretty much the same as that in other books. The only difference is the diagrams - those were done in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth, so certain steps may take some effort to figure out (eg, steps where you don't have intermediate 3D illustrations to show how a particular collapse is done, etc.).