who is the best at origami?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Maloriar

Re: who is the best at origami?

Post by Maloriar »

Yoshizava was born in 1911 and died on his birthday in 2005. So, he had exactly 94 years. Eric Joisel was (I think) 53.
Mirroring life requires curves, not straight lines. -Eric Joisel
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

every one is ding
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
Maloriar

Post by Maloriar »

Well, you can't say everyone. There is a lot of very good and young origami artists in the world.
Mirroring life requires curves, not straight lines. -Eric Joisel
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Yeah--just look at Satoshi, Ryo Kamiya, Brian Chan, Jason Ku, mikiller here (don't know his real name), and a bunch of others I haven't thought of. Even Josh Goutam.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Maloriar wrote:Well, you can't say everyone. There is a lot of very good and young origami artists in the world.
Well you can't say a particular person either. So I think OrigamiGeek is closest.
shelbygr1gh

Post by shelbygr1gh »

i think satoshi kamia. i like his ancient dragon this is it http://www.google.com/imgres?q=origami+ ... vDg&zoom=1
you no cool me cooler me kidding me just a little cooler then you. ps me like chicken!
tryingtofoldsumthing

Post by tryingtofoldsumthing »

If you look at tesselations, Joel Cooper's masks are completely unique and absolutely stunning. Its tough to compare his work to someone like Kamiya, who folds mostly making animals/insects and does not usually fold using twists/tesselations. I think joel's masks are so incredibly beautiful, and i wish i could fold something of that caliber!
Matt
If it's just mountain and valley folds, how hard could it be?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tryingtofoldsumthing/
gordigami

Post by gordigami »

" Best" is , of course, a highly subjective and ambiguous term.
From a historical perspective, I believe that arguments may be made for Yoshizawa and Eric Joisel to be included as representatives .
Today, when one considers the social, intellectual, educational, administrative, cultural and model contributions overall, I would be inclined to consider Robert Lang to be the most prominent .
That being said, there are many, many origami designers and models that are exceptional and to whom we are eternally grateful .
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

It's impossible to say as there are so many fields for origami, you can't judge it all, and there would never be an agreement.
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

shelbygr1gh wrote:i think satoshi kamia. i like his ancient dragon this is it http://www.google.com/imgres?q=origami+ ... vDg&zoom=1
his designs are unique and really lifelike, but i wouldn't go as far to say he is the BEST designer. some of his models that i have folded have really, really strange folding sequences, which result in uneeded layers and stuff like that. I could not rank people in order as the best folders, but i could say which I think are the best, in no order.

Robert Lang, Satoshi Kamiya, Hoang Tien Quyet, Shuki Kato, Artur Biernacki, andrey ermakov, sipho mabona, jang yong ik, tran trung hieu, 戴璐, mikiller (don't know his real name), and it goes on and on...those are some of the most skilled designers still alive today that I know of. if you wanted to include ones that have died, then akira yoshizawa, issei yoshino, and eric joisel.

i mean, as people have said here before, there really is no way to rank the most prominent designers. its almost as dumb as trying to compare picasso & monet's paintings - you can't. there is no way as they are two different artists with two completely different styles. yes - you make like one better than the other but that DOES NOT justify what the rest of the world thinks.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

This entire forum, all together, could probably round it down to about 20. There could never be just one. Also it's hard enough to choose out of just 2 people. Me and my friend constantly argue about it. He gets really professional looking results from following instructions, i invent things and get cool, but not as good results, so it's hard to say.
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Like I said. There is no way to compare someones art to another's and say which one is better.
There is no single "best folder" that exists. Yes, some are better than others, but once you get to a certain point, its like math - it just branches off in random directions after pre-calculus, it doesn't get harder linearly any more. of course, that analogy may not make sense to some.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

phillipcurl wrote:Like I said. There is no way to compare someones art to another's and say which one is better.
There is no single "best folder" that exists. Yes, some are better than others, but once you get to a certain point, its like math - it just branches off in random directions after pre-calculus, it doesn't get harder linearly any more. of course, that analogy may not make sense to some.
That "speech" made my day.
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

haha, I try :)

i was high on pain meds when I wrote that by the way...still am actually...
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
finnmac

Post by finnmac »

Sipho Mabona is one of my favourates... I had actually never heard of him until a few weeks ago until I saw his INCREDIBLY elegant arthropods, like the praying mantis and trilobite. i hope a book comes out
Joisel is also brilliant, and kamiya, and also well done to lang for the google page