who is the best at origami?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Baltorigamist

Re: who is the best at origami?

Post by Baltorigamist »

Thanks for the info--I actually hadn't noticed the naming scheme. I'll have to keep an eye out for the CPs and diagrams if I can find them anywhere.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

always welcome. I have posted cp's to all of the 2009 models that he doesn't have pictures of on my flickr.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

me
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
bnm70

Post by bnm70 »

Ondrej.Cibulka wrote:me
:x

And no one is. Montroll is good
Lang, Jeremy Shafer( I personally like him), Kamiya,Kawaski, theres a ton of people.

no one is the "best"
Origami is like food. You can love it and be obese. Or you can hate it and be and be a"cute". Or you can be a fail and your just that. A fail. Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/76647015@N08/?saved=1
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

thats exactly what i said a while back (no one bothers to read my long ranting posts anymore)
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

me

There's modesty for you!
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]
anonymous person

Post by anonymous person »

Seriously guys, what is your OBSESSION with "technical folders" who have extremely complex and over complicated and over realistic models, specifically Kamiya! You are being completely ignorant of other masters who are just as skilled but in making simple models, having amazing skills in suggesting an animal's limbs instead of representing them. If you have ever tried to replicate one of these models then you will know just how hard it is, harder than even folding ryujin in many ways. Next time you look at a Giang Dinh or Jozsef Zsesbe model do not be ignorant and despise it's simplicity but think about just how hard it must have been to get just the right feeling from that model and how masterful that folder must have been.
And what about models with less shaping, primary those composed of more geometric forms such as those of Hideo Komatsu or Jun Maekawa(two of my idols in origami). Are they not to be valued? These are some of the most elegant models in origami but it seems you have completely skipped over them in favour of Satoshi Kamiya and other origamists with primarily complex models. I suppose you like these so called "realistic" and "lifelike" models because you find them beautiful. How about broadening your horizons to not just complex models??
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

i posted something similar to what you said earlier. personally, i find the simplest models (those by Giang Dinh and some others) the hardest to make. even with diagrams. and especially the ones with wet folding.

but anyway, i don't think everyone on here was saying that simple models suck and are stupid. you don't have to get mad at them and go off like that. everyone has their own taste in art. and also, don't get me wrong. i know exactly where you are coming from, and i agree with you on alot of what you said.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

actually i love Jun Maekawa's models. i just forgot to include him. i have read all his books and own genuine origami and i love his models especially the demon in viva! origami and i love the simplicity and perfectness of his shell in genuine origami.
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

My friends' got a book by someone who made a devil, he was impressed by the photos where the model had been positioned to exaggerate the detail on the fingers, when in the other pictures, where the fingers were just another part of the model, they didn't fit in, as the fingers were immensley detailed and the rest was only meant to suggest the clever shape of the demon, leaving your imagination to the rest. Do you mean that sort of undetailed but still effective, or are you describing something else?
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]
papagimp

Post by papagimp »

when I'm staring at an unfolded square, i'm wanting to fold insects by Lang, or an ancient dragon by kamiya, as well as other similarly complex and detailed models, but when I hit up google to browse for ideas, I seem to always end up staring away at anything/everything by Eric Joisel that I can. His work has such a definitive style to it. I can stare at 100 different insect models and not tell you who designed what (i'm new too so that may be a cause) but when I spot works by Joisel, it's pretty obvious to me. Seems he infused more artistry into his work and for that alone, probably my favorite artist so far. A close second place I'd throw down to Hoang Tien Quyet. His work is stunning.

gwb ~ Genuine Origami was my first origami book and I do love his models. The finished model isn't always 'the best looking piece around in my opinion, but they're fun to fold and he's got several gems in that book. But the devil is probably my least favorite in that particular book. It looks great, just not my cup o' tea.

just my 2 cents
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

ok cool :D
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
twinrovamgm origami
Location: I'm not sure, because i'm looking at paper and folding it all the time.

Post by twinrovamgm origami »

there is no one best person at origami. all people have their different styles, some alot of pleating, some only one fold. but, these are the top three in my opinion:
eric joisel(he folds complex models, but he also makes the model a sculpture.)
giang dinh(alot of shaping, very artistic), and
Akari yoshizawa(really fills his pieces with life)
How do you spell this site's name again?
snkan? nope
sknahn? nope
snakan? nope
I GIVE UP!!!!!!
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

so the conclusion is that there is no one best person.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

i made three very long posts explaining that earlier.
read earlier in the topic.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip